Front disc brake question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front disc brake question.

What type of disc brake rotors should I use on my 52 Commander?
    Does Turner brake carry them?
    I posted brake questions a long time ago and was told that Turner carried the bolt on modern master cylinder replacement but I for now just need the spindles to re assemble my front end.

Dean.
    52 2 door hard top.

Turner's conversion uses stock 51 and up spindles and bearings.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The '63 and '64 Studebakers that COULD have Disc. brakes, all have a different part number with notch cut out of the (Stude. name ="Support") lower steering knuckle (the small part at the bottom of the kingpin) to clear the stock Stude./Dunlap Disc. brake mounting bracket.

I do not know if that requirement to install Disc. brakes, happens on the Turner kit or not.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info,
        I sent them an email.
        Sorry but in the original question I meant rotors not spindles. (edited)
        I'm hopeing that I can buy just the two front rotors for now and better yet if there is a particular model I can just get from the local auto parts store???

Dean.

Comment

The rotors are off a 68 or 69 Mustang. Go to the Turner website and read the installation instructions, the actual Ford part number and an aftermarket number are listed there. I got my rotors from the local part store, they are cheap and easy to find. BTW I love having these brakes on my car! Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Just recieved a reply from Mr. Turner himself,
            ON SUNDAY EVENING!
            How impressive is that?
            He replied:

Dean,
            The rotors are 68-69 Mustang or Cougar, Raybestes # 6006

They are $125 each plus shipping

Jim

I am very impressed with his dedication to his customers.

Dean.

Ps. Junior,
            Thats a nice lookin car you have there.
            I hope to someday own one of those.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words about my Stude. In real life the car is good from far and far from good. At times it's such a source of frustration, and other times it gives me so much joy, but it's been such a large part of my history I have no other choice but to love it. One day, with the help of this forum it may actually be finished! Junior.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Dean,

I use 94-04 Mustang rotors with my conversion and Studebaker hubs. I
                dont have any more brackets at the moment, I am negotiating a second
                run of brackets with the CNC shop.

Just FYI :

Napa : $32 (basic) to $64 (premium) front rotor
                Autozone : $35 (basic) to $55 (premium) front rotor

There are also drilled and slotted rotors available for more. Zinc is
                also available to eliminate rust on surfaces the pads do not contact.

Make sure to read the install instructions on the Turner setup. His
                uses a bearing spacer to move the rotor out because the bearings are
                closer together on the Ford rotor. In order to mount rotors that you
                buy locally, you will need Turner to send you the two spacers. In the
                instructions it explains how to heat the rings red hot and slide them
                onto the spindles. I dont believe you can use the Mustang rotors if
                you dont have the spacer rings. Clear that up with him before trying
                to install the rotors on the car.

To clarify, 68/69 Mustang rotors are one piece hub/rotors, where as a
                Studebaker disc is two piece. My setup uses the Studebaker two piece
                design, but puts the rotor on the outside of the hub, not the inside
                which makes maintainence easier (like a modern car).

The Mustang GT option fits inside a 15 inch wheel, just FYI.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks Tom,
                  Questions,
                  Using the 94-04 Muststing rotors do I need any type of spacers?
                  Can I just buy them and bolt them on?
                  And last but not least how much for your version of brackets ?
                  If your version is used do you offer a complete bolt on disc brake conversion kit?
                  If so what does the kit as a whole cost?
                  I plan to use an extreme duty fab-9 rear end from cachassisworks.com pg. 157 of their catalog.
                  If you prefer you can PM me at:
                  dpearson@scwcompanies.com

Thanks,

Dean.

Comment

One day, with the help of this forum it may actually be finished! Junior.

Junior,
                    Me too!

Dean.

Comment

I bought a set of brackets that mounted a GM caliper and used a ford ranger hub/rotor. I am very satisfied with fit and operation. 175 on ebay. They used a spacer which was easy to install with the heat and beat method.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dean pearson

Using the 94-04 Mustang rotors do I need any type of spacers?
                        The rotors slide over your slightly modified stock Studebaker hubs,
                        so the only spacers you may need would be to place whatever design
                        wheels you want to use depending on offset. This would have to be
                        checked regardless of what aftermarket setup you use. What I can
                        tell you is the rotor acts as a .27 spacer on the face of the HUB
                        (minus the drum thickness - as your '52 has drums). This does not
                        change the relationship between the hub bearing spread and spindle
                        since its all the stock Stude parts.

Can I just buy them and bolt them on?
                        This thread should answer your question :

11" rotor GT single piston caliper (which fit inside a 15" wheel)
                        originally posted in 2006 :

And last but not least how much for your version of brackets?
                        The first run brackets were $200 a set plus shipping, usually being
                        about $215 dollars. Included is a list of recommended bolts/etc. I
                        expect the second run to be the same price, they are 6061-T6 Aircraft
                        grade structural aluminum, machined on a CNC mill. I dont currently
                        have any to sell you, so Turner/Steeltech are the two options if you
                        are in a hurry. I just wanted you to make sure that you had everything
                        you needed to mount the Turner rotors if you go that route. Nothing
                        sucks more then paying out close to $300 dollars in rotors alone only
                        to find you are missing an critical piece at crunch time!

If your version is used do you offer a complete bolt on disc brake conversion kit? If so what does the kit as a whole cost?
                        I do not offer a "kit", just the brackets and information. It isnt
                        worth while to buy parts and ship them to a customer when you can
                        buy them down the street from you and save on shipping. Also since
                        there are SO many options I cant possibly carry everything. The
                        mail order options of Summit and Jegs raise the bar higher. One
                        of my customers has developed a 12 inch rotor/2 piston caliper to
                        fit in a 15 inch wheel. I dont know the details, but I can put
                        you in contact with him. Unfortunately, it requires my brackets to
                        bolt to the spindles, which I have zero stock on. In your case, to
                        answer the rear disc question .....

I plan to use an extreme duty fab-9 rear end from cachassisworks.com pg. 157 of their catalog.
                        Using this rear axle opens the door for the matching Mustang rear
                        disc setup - either in GT or Cobra, during a quick glance it looks
                        like their axle assemblies allow for a lot of options. I have not
                        been able to revisit the rear disc setup, other then drawings that
                        I made to modify the stock Mustang rear bracket to fit a Dana 44.

[quote]quote:[i]Originally po
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                        X