Check out this goodie that I fould today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out this goodie that I fould today

While getting ready to work on repairing my trunk floor today I dropped the gas tank so I wouldn't potentionally blow my self up while grinding and cutting and look what I discovered.The po was a real winner with this one.
    [img][/img]
    That there be's fiberglass on the gas tank
    [img][/img]
    Now next question is should I just put it back on and hope for the best or should I just get a new one.This one holds with no leaks and I have no idea how long its been on there like this.

How far away are you from cali; so I know what it's going to sound like...

Comment

Many/most new cars use plastic fuel tanks. Is there really much difference?

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What if all that fibercrap does happen to break loose and fall off...? Not a chance I'd want to take.

Matthew Burnette
        Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

I was wondering how this was holding up? Have you had it for awhile and using the car?

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Well,I got the car a few months ago and I have been just driving it down the street and around the block,stuff like that just working on the motor and getting it running good.I just now started really gettin into working on the body of the car and like I said when I went to go work on the trunk floor I decided to pull the gas tank so I wouldn't blow up and this is what I found.I took it out and it had gas in it with no leaks or anything.I even turned it upside down and it held.I have no idea at all how long this tank has been done like this.I sat it over in the corner of my shop with gas still in it and its been there for a few hours now and it is still holding gas as I type.I'm debating about what to do with it now.The guy seems to have done a pretty good job sealing the tank up with the fiberglass but I just don't know how good or long it will hold.It looks like the he put 20 layers of fiberglass on it cause its about 1/8 to 3/16 thick.

Comment

Maybe that is not fiberglass resin, but 6 tubes of JB Weld! [:0]

Who knows, it could work.

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just a thought - What if you got that liquid stuff that you seal the inside of your gas tank with? Coat the inside with a good coat of that stuff until you can locate a new or good used tank.

Doug
                Venice, Florida
                1950 Champion
                9G F1

Comment

What kind of Stude is that out of??

Comment

It's out of a 59 lark and I've thought about getting some of that tank sealer to put in it.I mean as of right now its water tight.Looks like crap but it holds.the inside of the tank looks pretty clean so I guess the po must have cleaned it out when he redid it.I've heard of ppl doing this before but that was only on tractors and mopeds and stuff like that.

Comment

If you decide to get a new tank let me know I have some.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'd put a new tank on it and then you don't have to worry about it giving up down the road.

Comment

A good friend of mine used that tank sealer stuff once.. Surely he followed the instructions, I assume.. Wound up having to redo the carb's, the valves as it seemed to have sealed them too and all these on a XK-140 Jag.. UUGGHH !!

Ben

Comment

Please, Next time you post a picture, size it so I don't have to scroll back and forth in order to read the text.
                            thanks, Jerry.

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia
                            Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I wouldnt be afraid to use that tank. The patch is on top after all so little or no pressure against it. If you begin to smell fumes from it in coming years, then replace it. There must have been a mouse nest or other debris trapped between the tank and trunk floor that held moisture to make it rust there. Or maybe its because the trunk floor rusted through and that 75 pound bag of rock salt that was placed in the trunk for traction in the snow fell through and rested on the tank. [:0]

Lark ala mode
                              In the middle of Minnesota
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X