Clear All

• Chris' other Eye Candy 12/20 Another prototype

The Studebaker "Scepter" as it is called. Prototype

Chris Dresbach
    Chris Dresbach

Looks like it should be a Rambler

Joe Banana

Comment

Doesn't resemble any Rambler I've ever seen.

Bill

Comment

It looks exactly like a Studebaker

Jason Apple

Comment

Wish they would have made it, looked promising to me.

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Not crazy about the grill but nice clean lines.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cannonfodder

Looks like it should be a Rambler

Joe Banana
              That is sacreligious. Wash your mouth out with soap. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Comment

I like it,it's different.

Comment

Oh, the unfulfilled dreams......

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Love it, I've seen pictures of this proposal before but never the interior. Nice door panels and safty door handles, way ahead of it's time. It looks like they were aiming at the Tbird/Grand Prix market. Thank you for the pics John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer
                        I think you push the 4 little balls to make them display their info.
                        They were analog guages within those domes. They were designed to rotate to one's optimum viewing angle.

Craig

Comment

My favorite thing about these Stevens prototypes was the gas door location on the Wagon. I know Craig has a pic.

Matthew Burnette
                          Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

With a bit of modification and a toning down of a few of the more radical details, the 'Scepter' would have well adapted to production and to public favor.
                            I have had the pleasure of viewing the 'Scepter' up close several times now, and as I see it, replacing the 'experimental' Sylvania headlight bar with a conventional grill and headlight combo along the lines, but thinner, than the ones used in the '64-'65s would have given design continuity, and easy product identification.
                            There seems to be a little too much of the early '60s Virgil Exner/Chrysler Co, school of design in many of the details for my taste.
                            On the exterior, I am particularly turned off by that 'cow-pie' plopped smack in the middle of the hood, a non-functional detail apparently inspired by the '61 Valiant/Lancer trunk ornament.
                            And the deck lid line slicing down through that otherwise clean flowing quarter panel, just looks out of place, and reminds me of the types of unaesthetic construction that were employed by some very crude and forgettable foreign models.
                            I do however, like the introduction of curved side-glass, and greenhouse's large glass area. One of my favorite points when driving the '62-'63 HTs is their unobstructed sight-lines.
                            On the interior, the instrument panel is far too gimmicky and 'Edsel' appearing, I far and away prefer those large and clearly legible gauges set in a shrouded panel as were employed in the '63-'66 production models. I do not see any improvement in this area, only 'different' and glitz.
                            The buckets and console however are very nicely executed, and with conventional upholstery choices could have been outstanding. (hopefully also losing that Chry. Co. star emblem- for that matter all of 'em all over the vehicle, nothing could be finer than Studebaker's 'classic' circled S)
                            Just my personal opinions as to what would have made this design much more appealing to me as a prospective Studebaker customer at that time.

My family purchased new Studebaker's every year during the '50s and '60s. We bought '61,'62,'63, '64,'65, and '66s, always 'special ordered', never anything 'discounted' or from 'dealer stock' or 'year-end model clearance'.
                            The 'Scepter' or its production version, would have most certainly been our next Studebaker had it ever became available.

Comment

Like others here apart from the grill I like it.
                              Very sporty looking and also like said with some toneing down (especially those guages) I think it would have done well.
                              Really like the look from the side / rear.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              X