Any advise on transporting a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advise on transporting a Studebaker

I am in the process of buying another Studebaker. Is it cheaper to transport a car in the Summer or now? Also, any suggestions on getting this car form Georgia to Northern Ca.

In November 2007 I had an inoperable 50 Champ taken from Anaheim, Ca to Rivesville, WV for $1350 on open transport. Enclosed transport would have cost almost twice as much. Of course with the price of fuel now the cost has probably gone up. I was well satisified with the service and the delivery was timely. Check out www.vintagecarhouse.com. The company name is Satellite Navigation. They are old car people from Lake Elsinore, Ca. They broker the cars to carriers but the service was great!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by royvaldez

I am in the process of buying another Studebaker. Is it cheaper to transport a car in the Summer or now? Also, any suggestions on getting this car form Georgia to Northern Ca.

I use Peg trucking about 20 times/year. About a third of her hauls are Studebakers.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Have the car transported. By the time you've driven your car across the country and back, or rented a truck and dolly or trailer, you might as well have done so (money wise). It saves you the trouble and worry.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Roy, if it runs,fly over here and drive it home. Or send me a blank check and I will drive it to you and fly home. I always wanted to see northern Calif. NT

Neil Thornton
          Hazlehurst, GA
          '57 Silver Hawk
          '56 Sky Hawk
          '51 2R16 dump truck
          Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Try JimGuinn Autotransport <jjimsresto@aol.com>
            Great guy, great service and price.
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Have the car transported on an open carrier. I have had hundreds transported this way. A day recleaning a car is still cheaper than the extra cost of enclosed transport. I have gotten cars by enclosed transport and it is nice, but not worth the cost difference.

Do it now. The price may go up or down. This is usually based on current fuel costs. Who knows what next Summer will bring for fuel costs. An exception to this is if you are following a route that is usually or seasonally one way. For example, FL to NY is cheaper in the Fall than in the Spring. It is opposite to the normal flow of business (snow birds). Another example is outfits in the Midwest that are looking for loads to CA. They go out to CA, usually with an empty trailer, to pick up CA cars to bring to the Midwest to sell. One of these companies would be a fairly good fit for your transport.

One other thing - Get the car running. A running car costs a lot less to transport and opens up many more carriers than an inop. does.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'll drive it there for you, you just pay for gas, food and........... airline tickets from Reno to Georgia and from N.Ca to Reno... such a deal.

I'm always here to help.

Comment

If doing yourself:

Studebakers don't towbar well (or sometimes at all).

Dollys are only good if you either disconnect the driveshaft (or neutral for standard), and the wheel bearings are good and the tires are good. Sometimes difficult to determine from afar.

Trailers can often be rented at the pick-up point (like UHaul), and it may be cheaper than using the gas to take yours out to the pick up point.

Snow and ice can cause a lot of grief with a trailer. Salt, if on the highway, can be really bad because it can go everywhere if trailer is open.

If you are not experienced, I wouldn't start learning on a long haul.

Comment

I thought Peg was out of business John, I did a request fora quote on her website and never received a reply. Are you sure she is still operating?

Comment

Gary- The cost differential is $1-200. To save that the car must start, drive onto the transport, and stop. Might not be worth a long-distance repair bill.

And yes, Peg's still in business, and a great gal. Best bet is probably to call her:

For some reason she calls me the Evil Scientist[)] Weird.....

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I used DAS to get my Lark moved from Mobile Alabama to Ohio, about an 825 mile drive, because I wasn't sure of the condition and because I don't have a trailer of my own.

By the time it was said and done, it took them two full weeks to move the car and the least SEVEN truck changes, and extended stays in Dallas (almost a week of being told "its leaving tomorrow") and a weekend in the Chicago terminal where they blew the electrical system when they tried to jump it and switched the polarity. By the time it was said and done, and according to DAS's satillite feeds the car had travelled about 2,100 miles because they ship from hub to hub, then pass the cars off to regional hubs, etc. For this treat, I was charged about $800 for a lower berth. The upper rails would have cost me an additional $100.

Moral of the story? If you go with a carrier, find out the exact number of transport changes, and what the route will be. ALSO get insurance for the actual transport to cover any damages by their drivers and handlers. The trucking companies insurance only protects you IF they make are involved in a trucking related incident, but doesn't cover you if the car on top's fluids leak and eat away at the paint, etc. of your car. When I asked them about the blown electrical system, they immediatly said that "on older cars you have to expect this sort of thing." Well there mistake ended up costing me $450.

Would I recommend DAS? Lets just say I'm older and a lot wiser would deal with them a lot differently upfront.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

I have used Peg in the past but based on her customer service skills will never use her again.

Comment

Hi, I just got back from the bay area. Now is the time on figuring what path I need to go. I will keep you informed on my costs.

Comment

Roy Peter Millers 62 lark needs to go to Pa., you could take it and bring yours back...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                              canbstudebakers-
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X