When something gets backa$$ward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When something gets backa$$ward

Beyond my 'experiment' with water expanding in a block, at freezing, I have now come to the realization in another Stude, my intermittent wiper arrangement will only work when the headlights are off.
    Einstein here began wondering if any other Stude folk have wired or plumbed something up backwards and would care to admit it and make me feel better?

albert

My stupidest one was the blinkers on my boat trailer. When I activated the right one the left lights went on and the other way around. It didn't take too many obscene gestures for me to figure out something was wrong.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

Yes, I have. A couple of times with the ignition switch for instance, like accidently making a wire short to the metal dash, almost torched my dads '62 then,LOL! Then, another time, made a couple wires short on the switch itself, amazing how the generator warning light turned on so quick,LOL! Then I've packed bearing in tranny's wrong before (Thank the lord my dad caught the problem before it was assembled,LOL!), ect ect ect. All part of learning, don't feel bad. Is the block ok? How about the electronics, besides having problems? If they are ok, shrug it off, and try again, no matter how frustrating, thats how I get through alot of car problems,lol. Good luck!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

All the time, when I put something back together I put it together the way I think it should go back and it usually proves to be wrong. Those idiots at the factory should have done it right in the first place.

Comment

I had a 1950 Champion four door as my daily driver back in the 70's. At night in winter I had to choose two out of three of the following never all three:
          1. lights
          2. heater fan
          3. radio

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

Yea it happens to everyone, better on your own stuff than a buddy's.
            quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

I had a 1950 Champion four door as my daily driver back in the 70's. At night in winter I had to choose two out of three of the following never all three:
            1. lights
            2. heater fan
            3. radio
            Gary, thats easy you really only the radio and heater; lights are for tourists[}]!

Jon Krimm
            1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

LOL.
              I tried that with a full moon and it didn't work to well.

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

I installed a tach in my first car and hooked the internal light up to a light socket on the instrument panel. Turned out to be the high beam indicator and I only had a tach light when high beams were on. I did correct it though.

Comment

First time I used a remote starter switch, I didn't know which terminals on the solenoid I should connect it to. So I hooked one clip to the battery lead, and the other to the starter lead. Man, that switch got hot really fast!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

1. lights
                    2. heater fan
                    3. radio

Gary Sanders

Nixa, MO
                    Sounds like the stories my dad tells about his 1926 Whipit.
                    '50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks guys - I feel better.

Comment

None of the lights worked on the 1953 Corvette when the first few rolled off the assembly line because they forgot that they needed ground wires with the fiberglas body. Oh, and the correct pronunciation is "bassackwards"..you just had it ..backwards...

Comment

Now this is a real good thing about the forum: confessionals!
                          It's...reassuring...to find that even great mechanics make dumb mistakes. Oh, "other" great mechanics.

I cleverly hid 'spensive Hella super-bright driving lights (well, they seemed so back then) in the grille the Avanti doesn't have.
                          Wired them up direct, the good old harness-smokin' way. They worked great.

BUT I had a nice eye-talian sport sedan once, with a trick light stalk. A salesman had shown me how you could center the detent and get all four lights on at the same time. Speeding down a country road (not really a "twisty country road" like Alfa tales ought to have, but it did have one big curve somewhere in it) I found that the stalk switch was not rated for all four lights on at zzzt. To keep my Old Alfa cred, I'll mention that my best friend's [at the time] wife [at the time] was my passenger.

Plagued/entranced by this memory, I resolved my Avanti driving lights really ought to go through a relay. I read a book on relays. I got help selecting a selection of relays. Happily, I also line-fused the relay, because there's a set-aside in the laws of physics, Scandinavian sub-paragraph, that holds that Hella lamps do not work through relays. I ran through the fuses and relays like popcorn, and finally just unwired the dern things. So now when I squire around the [current] wives of [current] best friends--like that's gonna happen--I have to hold it under, insert favorite Avanti top-speed reference here.

Comment

I am man enough to admit to all here and the whole world that I have NEVER, EVER, wired anything wrong, put a distributor in backwards and spend 2 days fussing with every other adjustment trying to smooth out the idle, forgotten the little ball bearing thingies in a carb rebuild, broken off a bolt head by using the wrong torque specs, or fried the underhood wiring harness by accidentally dropping a wrench on the hot end of the alternator while the engine was running. Anyone accusing me of such foolishness would have to prove it with photographic evidence and testimony of at least five witnesses. Go ahead, try to squeeze it out of me. I dare ya.

sals54
                            sals54

Comment

while we're at it, should we ask how many have snapped the lug bolts on the left side of their Stude? Should I go first?

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                              "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Working...
                              X