59 Hawk 259 Flightomatic Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Hawk 259 Flightomatic Problem

I had a tranny leak at the shift lever. Removed pan, gasket, screen, pressure reg valve, control valve, manual and throttle lever and replace seal and O ring. Reinstalled reverse order. All per shop manual (as far as I know). Not a difficult task. It seemed that everything could only go back in one way.

However, the trans will not go into reverse? P to N to D and at L it seems to hit a stop. Any suggesstions before I pull it apart?

thanks
    dell

Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk
    Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk

One more thing. I cranked her up today and the trans does not engage at all. Also, the engine sounds like it has a load on it when reved. What did I do[B)]?

Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk
    Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk

Comment

Just guessing, but can the lever go past Park? Maybe the linkage underneath is off by one slot and the gearshift physically cannot go back to its position.

'55 Commander
      '55 President
      \'55 Commander
      \'55 President

Comment

I disconnected the linkage and moved it at the transmission. It only moves through 4 detents, there should be 5 (PNDLR) ... and ... it seems like the stator is not freewheeling???
        How could removing/replacing the reg and control valves cause this? Did not take them apart. Just remove/replace.

On the bright side, it does not leak.

Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk
        Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk

Comment

Shift lever detent BALL properly installed?

Low pressure to the Convertor Stator sounds like an aluminum pressure tube is improperly installed or missing the "O" ring.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not sure how the detent ball can go in wrong.
            I did not see any "O" rings when I removed the pressure tubes for access. They all appeared to be a slip tight fit. If each of those tubes has a O ring, I could have one out of place.

thanks

Dell
            59 Silver Hawk
            62 GT Hawk
            Dell
            59 Silver Hawk
            62 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wdsj

Not sure how the detent ball can go in wrong.
              Yeah, I probably should have said "installed", as in not popped out on installation!

You may want to check the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog for which ends of which tubes have "O" Rings though.

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You may not be able to install the detent ball wrong, but you can install the detent lever wrong[B)].

I had the lower part of the lever on the outside of the control valve thingy (I think that is the technical term for it; looks like a control valve but I can't identify it from the shop manual). It should have been in the groove (technical term for the slot in the thingy).

One of these days I am going to learn more about automatic transmissions.

Has anyone had a problem with transmission filters from SI not fitting correctly (ATP B-33)? The two holes are too close together. It is off by over 1/4". I called them and they confirmed it is the correct filter.

Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk
                Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk

Comment

The filter is really just a screen to keep out bigger chunks. If it isn't damaged, wash it out and reuse it.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                  X