Clear All

• Studebaker Hawk Patent (1955)

Pretty wild design![]
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    Note: Rule 20 rules.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

They designed that in '55?

Now I know where Corvette got their design for the 70's models. Sidepipes and all.

Matthew Burnette
    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

Sporty.

Chris Pile
      Editor: The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I wasn't aware that one could get a patent based on what something looks like. I thought patents only applied to a function. Very interesting.

Lark ala mode
        In the middle of Minnesota
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:I wasn't aware that one could get a patent based on what something looks like. I thought patents only applied to a function.
          The patent may not be the overall design/shape in the figures. The list of "claims" would be what the patent is actually for. We'd need to see more of the document.

Oops! I read the fine print and there IS a single claim for "The ornamental design for an automobile, as shown".

Most patents I've looked at will have several pages and usually a list of claims on a inner page. The cover page will have the description and a diagram but not the claims. But, those are more recent ones from the last 30yrs or so. My name appears as co-inventor on 5 patents and there is another in review so I know a little about them.

Back to the car in the figure... The side and rear seem OK but that front not so much. The side profile of the roof with the door glass looks a lot like 70s camaro/firebird.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Note that this was assigned to Loewy Associates and it was after the start of production for Studebaker Hawks.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The patent was granted in '56 but was applied for in July '55. Not sure if Hawk production had started by then, altho it certainly was at least in the finaly stages.

Since the patent had only a 14 year life, I guess that means we can now usurp the name, design, etc. and start building them? [)]

John

Comment

Reminds me a bit of Brooks Stevens 1956 Gaylord concept car.

Lark ala mode
                In the middle of Minnesota
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

He used the same 'grille forward' concept on a Lancia styling study as well.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

[blue][size=2][font=Comic Sans MS][b]The patent was granted in '56 but was applied for in July '55. Not sure if Hawk production had started by then, altho it certainly was at least in the finaly stages.

Since the patent had only a 14 year life, I guess that means we can now usurp the name, design, etc. and start building them? [)]

John
                    Hawks came out as 1956 models, but they were offered to the public starting in the Fall of 1955. I imagine that production, or at least the design was finalized, prior to the patent application date of 7/12/55.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Is this the same car as in the patent drawing? I don't remember where I came across it

1957 Golden Hawk
                      "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
                      sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Working...
                      X