early fifties gas can?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early fifties gas can?

Just curious as to what shape of gas can was popular around 1950? Military? Square? Round?

Doing some searches on google, I've seen some interesting designs, but nothing pointing to an exact year.

'50 Champion Starlight
    '71 Swiss 404 Unimog
    \1941 Buick Touring Sedan Twin Carb
    \'71 Swiss 404 Unimog

Check out Ebay too. You'd be surprised how much of the old stuff is still around. Ebay can be a great reference even if you're not looking to buy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Check out Ebay too. You'd be surprised how much of the old stuff is still around. Ebay can be a great reference even if you're not looking to buy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob

Just curious as to what shape of gas can was popular around 1950? Military? Square? Round?

Doing some searches on google, I've seen some interesting designs, but nothing pointing to an exact year.

'50 Champion Starlight
        '71 Swiss 404 Unimog
        I remember round ones of 2.5 and 5 gallons.

You are few days late if you want a round 2.5 gallon gas can. I left one in the garage of my father's house that I closed on this past Tuesday. I would have given it to anyone that wanted it for postage. I saved about 50 cartons of old stuff from the house and garage, but I couldn't save everything.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob

'50 Champion Starlight
          '71 Swiss 404 Unimog
          I remember round ones of 2.5 and 5 gallons.

You are few days late if you want a round 2.5 gallon gas can. I left one in the garage of my father's house that I closed on this past Tuesday. I would have given it to anyone that wanted it for postage. I saved about 50 cartons of old stuff from the house and garage, but I couldn't save everything.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For what it's worth, my parents moved to their place in the country in 1950, and the gas can Dad bought for lawnmower gas was red, round, 2 gallons in size, and had GASOLINE painted on the side of it about 2 inches tall. I know this for sure because we still have the can! That stuff was built to last back then.

Comment

For what it's worth, my parents moved to their place in the country in 1950, and the gas can Dad bought for lawnmower gas was red, round, 2 gallons in size, and had GASOLINE painted on the side of it about 2 inches tall. I know this for sure because we still have the can! That stuff was built to last back then.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

The clue is a WOOD handle, not plastic!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

The clue is a WOOD handle, not plastic!!

Craig

Comment

For what its worth, the pictures of that Plymouth being buried in Tulsa, shows what appears to be a round gas can as part of the accessories.

Comment

For what its worth, the pictures of that Plymouth being buried in Tulsa, shows what appears to be a round gas can as part of the accessories.

Comment

My dad liked the WWII surplus gas cans. They look almost exactly the same as the ones commonly available now (except in California).

Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My dad liked the WWII surplus gas cans. They look almost exactly the same as the ones commonly available now (except in California).

Lotsa Larks!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                          X