C?K trunk lids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C?K trunk lids

Would anyone like to comment on the differences between 53, 54, and 55 trunk lids for C/K models?

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca

The only differences I can imagine are the holes for the trunk handle. Everything else should be the same. Anyone else know of any other diffs?

sals54
    sals54

Comment

The shape of the cut-outs on the inside is different. In '53 they were rectangular, by '55 they were circles.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

You are on the right track with the inside shapes. What about 54?

Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

And Sal, I have not forgotten your request for 56 Hawk grill. Just have not bee out to the barn to take some pictures for you. It has been -10 to -20 for the past week or so.
          Brian

Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

The lock is different in 53. Later ones have the lock integrated into the lift handle,53 is a seperate piece below the lock bar.Steve

sigpic

Comment

Pretty sure the '54s have the square cutouts like the '53.

One running change to the '53 trunk lids I have never seen mentioned that I noticed when I acquired parts for my '53 concerns the inside as well. My '53 is a "tri-star" with a build date in May of '53. Later during the '53 run they changed to the big V emblem as we all know. The original lid for my car was severly kinked with the hinge pockets rusted out too. I got a nice solid lid from a later '53 and had to weld/move the mounting holes for my tri-star vs the V emblem that replacement lid had. While working on it I noticed that there was a added sheet of metal spot welded to the underside of each of the 2 long "ribs" of the inside stiffener. They are sandwiched between the ribs and the outer sheetmetal. I imagine it was done to "box" up the ribs and stiffen the lid more. I don't have a picture so its hard to explain this. Not something easily noticed either. Too bad they didn't also add something to the hinge pockets to make them more resistant to kinking if the hinges are sticky

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
              X