chevy motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevy motor mounts

Bought some motor mounts from George Sacher. He sent along some templates. Do I have them set up right? Didn't think I needed to take off that much to make them work?
    Just being cautious before I start cutting.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

They look right for my 64 Hawk frame, but mine has a Stude V-8

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

You probably should send George the pic to make sure.

Keep us posted on this install. I've heard good things about George's mounts, but never seen them.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

This car is a C or K model, so you are on your own on that, the only one that is a bolt-in, is a Sedan/Lark Type bracket.

I have never seen anyone try to do the SBC thing without the earlier GM engine Hurst type cradle engine mount for a C/K.

That is NOT to say that lots of people have not cobbled together a home-built mount that works on the late model 350 engine.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK Steinkamp i went out in the cold to take these pic's of my Hawk parts car,you owe me a hot cup of coffee.

Comment

Are you just cutting these to set the saddle mount on?
            show us a picture of the mount.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

guess I should have included a pic of the mount.
              Dick, you had one like this in a post once, or it looked the same.
              I PM'd you about a source for the donut you showed with it.
              [IMG]http://img.photobucket

Comment

Comment

Sorry for the double posts. Pics are still a challenge for me.
                  In clone larks pics, it doesn't look like the original mount was changed at all.
                  Right on Dick. It is a c/k, although this frame is from a 62 hawk.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

This car is a C or K model, so you are on your own on that, the only one that is a bolt-in, is a Sedan/Lark Type bracket.

I have never seen anyone try to do the SBC thing without the earlier GM engine Hurst type cradle engine mount for a C/K.

That is NOT to say that lots of people have not cobbled together a home-built mount that works on the late model 350 engine.

StudeRich
                    The Hurst type front mount is a bad idea...unless you mount the rear off the bellhousing like an early Chevy (or Stude). If you mount off the trany, the span between the mounts is too great and prone to catastrophic failure.

At least two companies make rather elegant front mounts to put a Chevy in a C/K. Both mount off the side of the Chevy block...not the front. Slick Street Stuff and George Sacher. Both then attached to "pruned" stock front mounts, other wise they are bolt ins. Here's Slick Street Stuff's. The rubber donut is stock Stude V8.

Here's the Hurst type mount...

I "cobbled together" mounts for the 327 in my Starliner. The mounts were universal type SBC mounts from Chassis Engineering. There is a bracket that bolts to the engine, a rubber donut (like a flat head Ford or a Stude), and the part that attaches to the frame. This last part is oversized and has to be trimmed to width then welded to the frame rails. Worked fine, but the bolt in alternatives are better.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

OK Steinkamp i went out in the cold to take these pic's of my Hawk parts car,you owe me a hot cup of coffee.

I'll buy you a cup of coffee anytime, Bob [^],...but what the heck is it you are showing with those pics?

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Speaking of bad ideas, the bowtie is a bad idea to begin with.
                        I saved my 53 from that disgrace, however some one had started
                        the same conversion as this when I bought it. It only required
                        the right (passenger side bracket be cut about 1 1/2 inch.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I thought he was talking about the frame mounts, if he had them in the right holes

Comment

Flashback, lest anyone think I am ruining a stude, this is what I started with.

Comment

clonelark, that was kind of the question. Your pics look like they just bolt in. I'll have some help later this week to set the engine in for some mock up, but a quick measurement looks like I have to trim back the pads, and Georges template only makes sense the way I show it. emailed him but he hasn't responded. Figured someone on here had used them and could confirm. Which one of the tree possible slots to use would also be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X