core plugs again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• core plugs again

Just read tomnoller's post and replies. I am working on a 57 SH 289, engine is back from the shop with new freeze plugs, mounted on the frame, and exhaust is installed. Filled radiator and did the 20 minute brake-in running (very pleased with the sound of the engine) only to find all the freeze plugs seeping slightly. No leak when engine is off...just when running. Examined the steel plugs (now that I have read the forum entries and got educated on core plugs)and they simply have a "goose egg" knocked into them. Can I now take a socket extention or something with a flat surface and flatten out the concave in order to try and get them to seal per Studerich). I can see that the machine shop did use a permatex type sealer on them. I know I will need to drop the exhaust system & starter to get to them all. May even need to raise theengine a bit.
    THANKS to one and all. Over the past year I have had several questions answered and found many answers searching the forum.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS

Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

Are they cup type, or flat? If the flat type, use the back side of a pretty good sized socket and put the extension in backward, to get them to seal. Cup type, you might have a problem. On mine, the holes are egg shaped (slightly)and only the rubber ones work in the car. Will have to wait untill next year to take the engine out, and do it the right way.

Comment

They are the flat type.

Ray Stewart SDC
      51 pick-up
      57 silver hawk
      62 lark
      Ray Stewart SDC
      51 pick-up
      57 silver hawk
      62 lark

Comment

If you can get to them put a small ball pein hammer
        against the center of the freeze plug (ball against
        plug) and hit with another large hammer, brass if you
        have it, is safer. Always works for me.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

remove the plugs and re-seal with a good permatex or equivalent. Then reinstall and drive home as above with fresh sealer. Otherwise expect more seapage forever.....unless you are very lucky...what does jimjim say: do it right the 1st time...

Comment

I agree with Jack. If they are concave (bowed in) the machine shop pushed them too far. They will seep until you (or they) replace them.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
            Holdrege NE
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

That's interesting, when you say they are "goose egged" and you want to tap them in more, I have to assume that they are convex, bulging OUT!

That sounds like they Permatexed them, and just "dropped" them in! [xx(]

That is how they look off the shelf, so they would have made very little if any, effort to tighten (flatten) them to properly install and seal them! [:0] [:0]

If you do the right (difficult) thing, and replace them, get the rustproof kind...BRASS! [^]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Can you send a picture, and clear all this up.

Comment

At least you just have it installed on the frame because you better pull the trans and flywheel cuz they probably put that plug in wrong too.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  61 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebakerkid

At least you just have it installed on the frame because you better pull the trans and flywheel cuz they probably put that plug in wrong too.
                    There are no "wet with coolant" core plugs in the rear of the engine, so if your oil pressure is strong, and no oil is leaking at the rear, it should be fine. [^]

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Update. The freeze plugs look like #1539038 page 167 SI and they are convex (studerich was correct...they are not concave) and they were installed bowed out (properly) and then hit with a ball-peen hammer (the dent from the hammer was refered to as "goose egg"). After reading some prior forum posts I thought I would try to flatten out the plugs a bit (back of a socket) and try that first...there is a lot of the convex (bow out)still there. I will figure out the posting pictures. I have taken pictures during the restoration process and plan to post sort of a step-by-step.

Ray Stewart SDC
                      51 pick-up
                      57 silver hawk
                      62 lark
                      Ray Stewart SDC
                      51 pick-up
                      57 silver hawk
                      62 lark

Comment

Working...
                      X