turbocharged.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbocharged.

Anyone every see a turbo charged six cylinder 1950 convertible. There is one on EBAY!!! What us with that???

Neat!

Comment

Love that car, even though it isn't a real convertible. I wonder how it seals up? Wish the seller would have shown more detail on the homemade top setup.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

What's up with what? [)]

So, thats what a finished product looks like when a six is joined with a turbo setup, neat...

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

That is one heckova nice application. I like the way he used the airbox from a Golden Hawk as a pressure box. I ran a turbo on a flat 6 in my 54 Coupe for a short time. It makes for a fun little ride. The turbo I used was from an Audi 5000. I ran it through a sealed 4 bbl carb. instead of a pressure box. Great fun. I still have the setup in the barn. A turbo will really make a flat 6 come alive.

sals54
          sals54

Comment

Can't tell from the picture but it looks like a Nitrous soleniod or maybe just a fuel filter.

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

1950? Must have been one of those rare "year ahead" options with the 51 front sheet metal and suspension. I really like the car but I think that if I were going to spend that much money I would upgrade the brakes and refresh the suspension so that it wouldn't require those things stuffed into the coil springs. If you want more pictures...he has a "more pictures" link to his photobucket album of the car. Looks to me that it would be a great "fair weather" car. I wonder what measures (if any) were taken to stiffen the car after removing the top.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Besides losing a business coupe
                There is some real nice quality work there....

Interesting what people see...
                What's with the axle u-bolts?
                Why aren't the bottoms painted?
                Just curious....
                Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Maybe he doesn't like black Loctite. I'd even ask why one is bent. Drums didn't get the paint either. Just NPC stuff!

Comment

Way too cool. I wish I could!

Comment

Sals-I have a nice .030 over 185 that I did a valve job on and it's just sitting on my garage floor waiting for manifolds of some sort. I have a bunch of 5.0 mustang injection stuff and I got hold of a turbo off an 84 ford truck diesel. I figure the 5.0 injectors (3) might be enough for the six on a batch fire deal, but I really have no idea WTH I'm doing. Some kinda crank fire deal, maybe. Have you ever posted pics or info about your setup? I'd like to put something together that is as simple as possible but three injectors, turbo, O2 sensor, ecm, who knows. The high compression heads available for champion motors are still way too low to be getting serious. And I still have this 57 SH (finless) with OD and 3.90 TT this could go into.

Comment

People are getting confused on how the intricacies of the FI system functions......
                        Hmm, this looks like a job for.......a brief summary [)]
                        Yeah, that's the educator side speaking [)]

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

That is one heckova nice application. I like the way he used the airbox from a Golden Hawk as a pressure box.
                          I don't know if he added more and better pics or what, but you now see that it has a Dodge Ram Turbo air box. That is some really beautiful engineering and application, it looks sweet. Makes you wonder just how well that setup performs! []

StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Buddymander,
                            I don't think I still have any pictures of the total setup as it looked under the hood. Dick Datson has pictures of it in his old Turbo publication. I do have pix of the intake and exhaust, though. I did the most simple of jobs since mine was not intended to be a regular daily driven setup in its current form. A few tweaks, though would make it very streetable.

These are the parts I built to make the magic happen. Easy stuff to fabricate. I used a bonnet on the carb and blew straight through the carb. The carb is sealed. The Audi Turbo would build up to 14 lbs of boost. Too much for a flat 6 piston to handle. I found out later that one of the pistons was damaged as a result of the high boost. All strictly low-tech. Made my 54 Coupe go about 115 mph, though. That's not too bad for 169 cubic inches. Remember, the damaged piston was caused in less than 20 miles of hard running. Probably running a bit lean and way too hot from over-boosting it. I believe, if it was kept under 10 lbs of boost and ran slightly richer, it would make a very potent and reliable high horsepower flat 6. The clutch is another story altogether... By this time, my V8 rebuild was done and I was ready for a daily driver again. It was fun while it lasted. Good luck with yours.

sals54
                            sals54

Comment

Working...
                            X