50 champ nose on 48 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 champ nose on 48 commander

Have a real nice 50 nose from a starlight champ, been saving for years. Can that nose be transplanted on a 48 starlight commander?
    I know the wheelbase is a little different. Can I just shorten the frame a fuzz? Is the wheelbase so much longer in the commander that the wheel will look ofset in the fender well?

36 dictator
    48 starlite
    50 starlite
    48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Off the top of my head I'm thinking, you change the nose, you need to change the hood. You change the hood, you need to change the fenders. The Commander six engine is longer than the Champion six so you need the longer hood, nose and fenders, complete front clip from a 50 Commander. So I'm thinking no, no, no. The 51 Commander had a shorter V-8 and shared the same sheetmetal as the Champion so, neither of the 51 models would work.

If you want to put the Champion grill panel to use, you'll need to find a Champion that needs it or a Champion owner who needs it.

I'm also thinking, with a torch and welder anything is possible but others will probably reply more adamantly no, no, no.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I meant to say I had the whole front clip from the 50 champion. Question is will the shorter nose work on the commander Or should I look for longer Commander nose if there is such a thing. I guess the 51 nose is out, as the 51 champ and commander share the same sheetmetal? The other question is will the thing look strange with the front wheels a little closer to the front of the car? I also have a 51 front clip but it is also a champ. I really like the 50 nose and the 48 rear section. I would be willing to purchase a 50 commander fenders and hood if I can. Maybe I should consider putting the 48 rear sheet metal on the 50 champ? Now I'm confused.

36 dictator
      48 starlite
      50 starlite
      48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

Any suggestions on where to find the 50 commander fenders and hood?

36 dictator
        48 starlite
        50 starlite
        48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

There are two sets of fenders for the bulletnose body. These are refered to as the "long" fenders and the "short" fenders. The length is at the back of the wheelwell. The short fenders are about 3" from the back of the wheelwell to the "A" pillar, and the long fenders are about 8" in this same spot. If you can get the doghouse from a 50 or 51 commander, you could get that to fit, but the short fenders from a 50 champ will not fit on the longer wheelbase of the 48 commander. If you really want a bulletnose 48, I suggest you start looking for a 50 or 51 commander nose. Of course, with a sawzall and a welding torch and unlimited amounts of time and money, you can do anything.

Comment

quote:should I look for longer Commander nose if there is such a thing.
            Yes, there is and, yes, you should if what you have to work with is a 48 Commander.

47, 48, 49 rear fenders will bolt to a 50 or 51 Champion or Commander. The only bulletnose front clip that will adapt to the earlier Commanders is the 1950.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:If you really want a bulletnose 48, I suggest you start looking for a 50 or 51 commander nose.
              quote:The 51 Commander had a shorter V-8 and shared the same sheetmetal as the Champion so, neither of the 51 models would work.

Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I once put a champion 50 front clip on a champion 47/48/49 "mongrel" car. Wheel opening to cowl, champion-to-champion, was 1" different between years.

Kent

Comment

Here's the story. Been havin this 50 starlite since 1972. Restored once early on, sat a while like most trailer queens, changed color a couple times, never really got back together. Storm comes along, takes the car but I got the nose hanging in my buddies shop for paint again. 48 comes up on Ebay resto-mod fire breathin runnin ready to go, Bingo, presto chango change the nose Git the bullet back. Pop a trailer hitch on the back I'm off to South bend pullin my 36 trailer queen to the meet. What do ya think? Can I get a suggestion or two? 50 champ bullet on a 48 commander gotta get done.

36 dictator
                  48 starlite
                  50 starlite
                  48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

Working...
                  X