What do you call these things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you call these things?

OK, here goes nothing: The rubber sqegee like blade thingies on either side (interior/exterior) of the door windows - they hug the windows at the base and then help to keep the window in place while you role them up and down. What are they called and how hard is it to replce them. On my Lark they are all cracked, dried out and as a result water can get down into the door. Worse, when I drive her, the windows rattle like a school bus.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

"Cat whiskers" is the correct terminology, if I understand what parts you are referring to.

Chris Pile
    Editor: The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The inner "window weatherseal" (Studebaker's term) is the cats' whiskers, which is intended more as a non-scratch pad than a seal. Only the outer weatherseal is rubber, at least on older cars, not exactly sure about Larks.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Not hard to replace, buy new stock from SI, (guess the length and ask them to cut them to save cost of shipping) pry the old ones out, determine if you need new 'grippers' or not, if so order from SI. Put the grippers in appropriate position and snap into place. Of course you have to roll the window down below the sill to do this, which involves removing the door panel and the screw that keeps the window from going down below the sill.

Still and all, pretty easy.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

You may want to try this it worked great for me on 1953 C coupe.
          the little clips that I purchased as a direct replacement were not only diffucult to install they rubbed on the windows. I finally solved the problem by throwing out the clips and using 3M double stick tape. I was able to install the tape and cat whiskers without having to remove the window glass and they are in solid and show just the right amount of reveal and no more rattles. Hope this works for you. joedipipi@msn.com

Comment

OK then. Second question: is there some sort of instructional guide for removing the door panel.

I know that I have to remove the door lock button, the window crank, the door opening lever, but when it comes to dealing with those unseen clips, I'm at a loss. Also, can the clips be reused, or do they have to be replaced?

Stu K

Comment

Yes the guide is in the body section of the service manual. Incase you dont' have that; You also need to remove the armrest #3 phillips, there will also be some number of #2 phillips trim screws at the very bottom edge of the door panel. Use a knife, putty knife, or piece of sheetmetal between the innerdoor skin and the door panel to locate the door panel clips. The clips ar metal, so there is a good chance you won't need new ones. However, be VERY carefull prying them out as the door panel backing material is cardboard and extremely easy to rip and or cause other unnecessary damage.

Jon Krimm
              1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Oh man, those clips are a pain because you have to apply the pressure with the putty knife to the clip itself, not just the backerboard. The board will tear off leaving the clip stuck in the door. This old board is brittle and crumbly. Use a small flashlight to look under each area where the clip is to be sure you get the knife under the edge of the clip. If you get the panel off without tearing the board, give yourself a pat on the back, because it's a labor of frustration at best.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Oh man, those clips are a pain because you have to apply the pressure with the putty knife to the clip itself, not just the backerboard. The board will tear off leaving the clip stuck in the door. This old board is brittle and crumbly. Use a small flashlight to look under each area where the clip is to be sure you get the knife under the edge of the clip. If you get the panel off without tearing the board, give yourself a pat on the back, because it's a labor of frustration at best.
                  Yeah, and I need to be careful with those panels because they are really the nicest part of the interior - seriously - those are four items that I don't want to have to replace...

Stu K

Comment

I didnt see anyone trying to sell him a handle clip tool. THere is a tool for removing the C clips that hold on the door and window crank handle. You can make one there was a drawing in TW deckades ago but you should be able to buy one at the local flaps as may crs use the same type of reusable C clip to hold the handle on. The thing that you have to remember is the orientation of gthe clip which is usuall the open ears the same way as the handle. YTou just have to fish around to push the clips out of the slots in the handle.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    61 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Your flaps should be able to get you a Snap-on A159 or equivalent.
                      Handy tool for newer cars too. You will be able to remove the clips
                      without tearing the backing on your door panels.

Comment

Stude used the same clips as found on GM cars of the 50's & 60's so the inner handle removal tools are easy to find. I slide a putty knife between the door shell & trim panel to locate the clips, then as has been said, pry the metal clip out of the door shell. On sedan models up to 62 you have to be careful not scratching the paint on the upper horizontal edge so there I use a plastic bondo spreader & tape the painted section of the door to avoid scratching. Of course, if its a hardtop or convertible you have the separate trim thats held on with a couple of screws covering the upper part of the trim panel.

60 Lark convertible
                        61 Champ
                        62 Daytona convertible
                        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2)
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                        X