Steering wheel spline replacement ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel spline replacement ?

Has anyone done this,is it possible to do without messing up the overall safety of the wheel ? I ask this because I have a wheel I want to sell,but has a damaged spline.

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

How damaged?
    I would think that if you took a small triangular file, you should be able to file the damaged part(s) of the hub.
    It's not like you are making the hole larger... Just taking the unwanted bumps off of the splines..
    HTIH
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

Has anyone done this,is it possible to do without messing up the overall safety of the wheel ? I ask this because I have a wheel I want to sell,but has a damaged spline.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You have two choices...Sell it "as is" or repair it and explain the faults honestly. The buyer then has the opportunity to purchase knowing what he is getting for the agreed on price.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Another thought. Years ago I found a banjo wheel I really liked, but it didn't fit my hot rod. I bored the spline out completely, about 1 1/2 inches. Took a crappy Chevy wheel with a good spline(had a chevy steering column) and cut out a plug of the spline to fit the hole I had bored in the wheel. Had the plug tig welded in. No problems.
        Maybe too much hassle for something you want to sell, but a good way to save a rare or special wheel.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
        "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Thanks guys,I'm not planning to fix and sell.just wondered if it would be of any value in it's state,this is a walnut Avanti wheel.someone did a job on it and destroyed the spline. (maybe now it's just a wall decoration)

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Whats a good one worth? If it that bad could it be welded and then resplined with a wire EDM?

Jon Krimm
            1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Just send it to me and I will hang it on my garage wall.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
              X