4.3 v6 in 66 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.3 v6 in 66 Commander

I have a 66 Commander with 194-6 a/t. Has anyone instaled a 4.3 on the original A/T in one of these chevaBakers? My 194 is getting tired
    A friend has a good 4.3 and i was wandering how much trouble the swap would be?

Doug M

Very simillar to installing a normal SBC.
    Put the block to bellhousing in the same place you would if you are installing a V-8.

The 4.3 is a very nice engine. Can make good power with over the counter parts.

Mike

Comment

What I need to know will the transmison and tork converter bolt up or will I need a different one? The A/T works well, or should I use the chevy A/T overdrive? If I change the trany I will have to redo trany mounts!
      Doug M

Comment

I had the chance to put that combo in my GT and I should have. Changing the trans will make the job twice as hard. Crossmember, driveshaft, linkage, and speedometer. The 4.3 will bolt up fine to the original trans bell, but I think the later 4.3's went to a different flywheel and I'm not sure about the convertor bolting to the 4.3 one. The OD trans would make for a better driver, but you should check your rearend ratio and see if it's at least as low as a 3.54 to have the overdrive be compatable. If you have a 3.07, for instance, the OD would be useless except on a level stretch of road.

Comment

I belive I have a 3.73 I put a Dana 44 out of a 65 v8 car. She crusies nicely down I 10 65 to70 allday long The 194 need rebuilding the pcv valve sucks the oil out of the engine.When you pull the pcv out smoke and oil comes out of the hole.

Comment

With a 3.73, I would definitely go with the 700 trans. But make sure it's a 3.73, because that's a little low to be comfortable at 70. You could probably get a good buck for your tranny as well. Help cover the extra cost of swapping in the od. Oh, and that 194 head would really bump the compression on a 250.

Comment

I agreed, use the 700R4 or the 4L60 (not the 4L60E). You could probably get a package deal out of an S-10, Astro or pick up. If you want to play with the engine later, get the 85-92 engine. GM added balance shafts in '93. You can also put a set of the Vortex heads on the older engines, and Edelbrock makes carb intakes for both styles. There are a few cams out there, but nothing real radical.

It would be a great package.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My parents had a 250-6 banger in a 1/2 ton 1983 Chevy conversion van with auto (and I think it had od also). It surprisingly moved the van along very well and it had maybe 150,000 miles when my parents sold it as the body was becoming very rusty. I think the 250 would be an excellent option for your car.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I was talking about the 4.3 v6 I can get from a friend . I am asking if the stude trany will work with the 4.3 chevy v6? The friend has a M5 with a 4.3 and 4l60 and 3.73 gear it runs great. I am trying not to change the trany.

Comment

I remember I had a 68 impala with a 250. I had some respect for that car, and it was probably at least another 500 pounds over that Daytona. Plus with added power of the 194 head, you could freak some people out when you pop the hood, lookin all original. And it's a bolt-in. That usually means a few weeks saved. You can pick up the 76 and later with the integral head and throw the top end away. Those are so cheap. Like I said in a previous post, the motor will bolt to the bellhousing, but the flywheel converter combo may or may not be a simple bolt in. The later chevies used a different bolt pattern on the flywheel centers. So you might be looking at redrilling your flywheel to match up with the convertor bolts, but not sure.

Comment

Thanks buddymander I will keep this in mind. My soninlaw has a 66 chevy truck with a 230 in it. it was rebuilt about 10 to 15 years ago ad was not driven the motor runs good just a thought he an't working on it. I paid for it and went 300 miles to get it. I guess it might be mine. JUST A THOUGHT I also have a 292 in a 85 or 86 3/4ton truck.

Comment

The flywheel will depend on what year 4.3 you get. When Chevy went to the one piece rear main seal, the crankshaft flange was reduced in diameter (so the cast alum. seal retainer could slip over the flange. The correct flywheel is readily available at parts stores, I purchased one last summer when I swapped my '85 (350) for a '95, it was an on the shelf item and only cost around $35.
                        I'd also say that with 3.73s, this would be perfect time to update to the 700R4, a change that will provide more drivability, performance, and satisfaction than the engine change.

Comment

The V6 is internally balanced just like the SBC. You might need a 283 flywheel to mount the trans. I'm not sure if the 194 has the same bolt pattern as the V6/SBC. One of those cases where you'll need to pull the trans with the engine and see how everything fits. Did Studebaker use a different auto trans between 6 cylinder and V8 cars?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yes I belive the 6 trany is smaller then the v8

Comment

Okay, but just remember that the 194 head will increase compression based on added cubic inches. The 250 will jump to about 10, but the 292 will jump to about 11.5. Plus the small 194 valve size will really start affecting the rev capabilities on a 292. The 194 flywheel will fit the early pre 86 sbc crank, and the 194 starter will go on the sbc too, but like I said before, you have to know what year you're dealing with. I'm not sure, but doesn't the six use the same trans but with fewer clutches?

Comment

Working...
                              X