Carb question - pictures removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb question - pictures removed

pictures are removed as it really bothered some members. I guess I can understand why bp and a few others stopped posting.

That is one nice ride!

Comment

Thanks.. the car is actually pretty dull. I took the pictures right after washing it. The paint will be done in the next month or so.

Dare to be different... Drive your Studebaker!!

Comment

Bob, she is coming along fine in a very short time, good looking car!

You may want to check that Thermostat Housing for proper fit of the Thermostat, since a GM housing like that normally has no undercut (ledge or grove) on the bottom surface for the Stat to drop into like the correct Studebaker one, the Stat may not seal, or it will leak externally. [:0]

Just trying to help avoid the obvious problems!

It will look even better with a REAL Camera!

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My Stromberg was dripping gas because the needle valve wasnt closing. I replaced it and adjusted the float level and then all was fine. Is your car firing on all 8 cylinders now or is it still missing on #5?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Nice ride. Enjoy the Ride

Comment

I had a vacuum leak at the carb base, pulled it and sealed last night. New plug wires were put on today. Still idles a little rough. Am thinking the carb needs to be gone through. Thanks for the tip Rich. Right now, the cheapie camera will have to work. The funds are going to the car.

Comment

What did you do with your old car?

Nice.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Lola's a hottie,

Dean.

Comment

The pink car is in Dallas Texas and the SDC now has a new member. The new owner is finishing up all the little stuff that was left to do. It has a very good home.

Comment

I liked seeing those gold valve covers still on there. I think I found one of the breathers. I hope it isn't one of the pair tho cuz it's dented. Did you ever check that 4bbl intake for leaks? Is there a heat riser on there making the intake hot enough to vaporize some of the fuel in the bowl causing it to come out the nozzles and drip down to the throttle shaft? You can look down the carb when it's running and if there is fuel dripping off the nozzles, it could be a high float. Or as stated, the needle and seat.

Comment

I like the gold covers too. I replaced the needle and seat tonight.. not sure what i did.. gas started coming out from all the seams. I think its time to take it to a pro to have it rebuilt.

Comment

Did you remember to replace the seal under the seat? Did you set the float level? Did you put the needle into the seat pointy end first?

Comment

did all but set the float.. guess thats the issue for tomorrow..too cold tonight

Comment

The float drop isn't nearly as important as float level. But you might set it at the high side since your jets are going to be a little lean for that larger motor. Maybe 1/8" higher. You should really rejet it to 289 specs. I put a 318 carb on a 360 and was able to get by with a higher float setting, but then the carb is more prone to flooding. I'll look around for the original carb as well but I haven't seen it in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X