I have to brag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to brag...

...that I FINALLY got my Lark titled in Ohio!!! She is, officially, MINE! Its been a quite a journey. The BMV people at one office were a real nightmare to deal with and refused to look up Alabama's stance on vehicles produced before 1973, even though it was their jobs. And it was the "greeters" (the people who tell you which line to wait in) that were the most belligerent about the whole thing. The were like Gorgons guarding the palace.

My advice to anyone who buys a car from a non-title state: do your homework before you walk into the local motor vehicle office - make copies of everything and call ahead just to be sure you have all of your "t" crossed and your "I" dotted. If I hadn't studied up on this I can only imagine how long it would have taken...

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

...time for pictures

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    1966 Daytona SS
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

TRUE DAT! I mean,yes, let's see some please.

Comment

Sorry, NO bragging allowed here! ...Lol! [)]

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I purchased my Avanti from Vermont which does not supply a title after 17 years. I did get the original title that transfered ownership to the couple I bought it from. It took two trips to the DMV and a police inspection (Free) to make it happen.

I'm lucky this is a small town and that one of the gals fell in love with the car. It could have been worse for me.

Glad to hear that you were rewarded for your patience. It shouldn't be that hard.

My advice, If you are buying an Avanti, take several pictures and be sure to show them around.

You will also need to be prepared to tell them that they could not find the VIN because Avanti's were built in Indiana and not in a foreign country.

Comment

SOOOO been there done that. And for my Avanti being the IDOT MVD computors did not recognize the VIN number becuase of so few digits I had to have a IDOT officer come out to verify the VIN with the car [}] less than 5 minutes of there time on my property but another trip to motor vehcle with one more document.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures...
              Keep in mind most of us can barely read and must have PICTURES!

I went through the same thing here, It was a P.I.T.A. and took three trips plus another company to come to my house and do a verification since it was a lein sale and had no title.

Dean.

Comment

Same problem here with getting a Texas title for a Colorado car. The county clerk for tax appraisals (dept. responsible to titling and licensing cars) told me to gather any evidence I had supporting my ownership and attend a 'special hearing' with her to determine whether the car could be titled. My dad (and I) are horrible packrats and savers, so I collected about 15 years worth of insurance premium receipts, Colorado license receipts, gas purchase tickets and a handwritten note from my dad giving me legal power of attorney for the car many years ago. Laid the file on her desk and had a pleasant conversation for 10 minutes with her concluding "This must be your car alright." And as fast as a computer could print a form, I had my title.

Paperwork, folks, paperwork.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I had a problem somewhat like that when I my Lark.The guy I bought it from had got it from another guy and never signed the title.He just left it open for about 4 or 5 yrs.So when I went to the DMV of course there was problems.They tried to make me pay all kinds of back taxes and fees because the the title had been open so long.I got lucky though and in the end all I had to pay for was a tag

Comment

It took me three trips to my local MVD office last month to register a brand new car with all of the proper paper work. The problem: the front of the certificate of origin said "XYZ Motorcars" and the back said "XYZ Subaru". Next time (about 10 years from now, I hope) I'll take XYZ up on having them do it for $150. Sheesh.

MVD is a state agency. So is the agency that registers the businesses. Why they cannot communicate is beyond me. MVD should know good and well that XYZ is XYZ from the volume that dealership generates, even in the next county.

Stude content: I consider myself lucky that registering the Hawk a year ago was simple in comparison. The PO who brought it into this state (New Mexico) initially probably had it rougher.

Jim K.
                    63 Hawk
                    Jim K.
                    63 Hawk

Comment

Way to go a another Studebaker owner! Yeah it pays like you say to check everything over. I got my title after about 2 months of waiting. I'm lucky it came with a title. It was a New mexico title ,and not very big , and tatered. But you could make out who owned it.[:0]

Comment

Glad to hear that you got your Lark registered. Its hard not to dot there eye at DMV.

Gordon

Comment

congradulations!! be glad your not in CA. Just went to register my 03 chevy 1 ton diesel from TX... $970.00 ouch!!

Comment

Don't get me started on Ohio's BMV! I've sold two cars there and have had drama both times!

Most recent was this July. I sold my beautiful 65 Lincoln convertible on eBay. The car was paid for, I sent the appropriate (to most states) documents, and the car was shipped. Car arrives, buyer calls to tell me he loves it, and is headed to get it registered.

Long story short, the MV denied him 5 (five) times! Each time he'd Express Mail the paperwork back to me and I'd do what they asked and Express it back; he'd make the trip, wait in line, and they'd hit him with something new[}] I had phone conversations with them and the NY DMV, and Ohio was snotty and obstinate- write a new one of these, notarize this, don't notarize it after all, and on and on. Luckily the buyer was a good guy and knew I was trying; but if it was I who had spent that kind of money and couldn't get the paperwork right I'd start getting pretty frustrated[V]... and worried!

I will still sell to Ohio- but I know if I see the buyer is from there it'll sure make my butt clench at the thought

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Its good to know that I wasn't alone. What really got me were the Gorgons though. The one woman insisted that the state inspection was incorrect because my car was a BUICK and that the model name was STUDEBAKER. I tried to explain that it was a STUDEBAKER, built by STUDEBAKER CORPORATION not a Buick and looked at me and asked "Are you telling me I don't know my job?"

Now this Gorgon is essentially the "gatekeeper"; you have to get past her to get to the appropriate line for the correct window. So I had to think fast - the last thing I wanted to do was honk her off. So I started to say "It was inspected at a Buick dealership because there are no Studebaker dealerships to inspect it..." when she unleashed "I don't need to hear your story..."[xx(] I did complain in writing to the site manager. There is no need for that type of comment; she may talk to her man like that, but I'm not her man ~SNAP!~.

Anyway, long story short, December 8th (the day I decided to run over to the BMV) was the day that Ohio revoked car registrations for undocumented immigrants) there are 400 people waiting for service at 20 windows, I left. On the 9th I dealt with the County Clerk's office and I was done in less than a half hour with no attitude - SWEET.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

Working...
                              X