R-60 Brake booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-60 Brake booster

I recently won an R-60 BOOSTER UNIT off ebay, Studebaker part No. 665118. It is NIB with shelf wear. I bought it to use in my '48 M-16 disc brake upgrade. The only problem I have now is I dont have the mounting brackets or the linkage to make it work. I know I can make all of the necessary components to adapt it but it would be much easier to use the original stuff. Is anyone out there is interested in letting me borrow the brackets so I can copy them? I will make it worth you while. I also need to know the bolt-hole locations on the frame if someone happens to have that info as well. Thanks, Neal

I recommend posting this on the Truck Talk forum (http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/) if you haven't already done so. Also if you post the part numbers here maybe you might find some more NOS pieces, that would be much easier the making them all. If I had an older truck book here at home I would start looking ito see if I had any parts.

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Well, if it's a Stude booster, it'll be a single circuit unit and as I recall, you've developed a twin circuit MC to use on your truck. So only one half of your brakes could be boosted.[B)] There's no "linkage" since these were mounted apart from the MC. They usually mounted on the frame, near the aft part of the cab. There's a vacuum line with a check valve in it that leads back to the booster.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The R-60 brake booster is not a hydrovac and is not plumbed into the brake lines. The R-60 is connected to the brake pedal by linkage. According to the M series truck parts manual the R-60 booster was only offered on the M-16 and M-17. Neal

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Well, if it's a Stude booster, it'll be a single circuit unit and as I recall, you've developed a twin circuit MC to use on your truck. So only one half of your brakes could be boosted.[B)] There's no "linkage" since these were mounted apart from the MC. They usually mounted on the frame, near the aft part of the cab. There's a vacuum line with a check valve in it that leads back to the booster.

Comment

Well how about that? I've taken apart a few big Ms thru the years and only ever saw the Hydrovac type booster. Talk to vendor Don Gay. He used to have alot of that older truck stuff - NOS. When I had an M16, Don was my go to guy for parts.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've never heard of one of these or seen one...although I've seen many M16's equipped with the hydrovac boost system.

Here's the page from the parts manual...

There is a note on the parts detail pages that says

"Installed at the factory on models M16 and M17 before car serials M16-37040 and M17-6556. However, a number of trucks before these car serials have been equipped thru service replacement kits with the hydrovac unit."

It sounds like they may not have worked too well and were replaced whenever they broke with the hydrovac.

If you find an M16 that has been converted, perhaps some of the R-60 parts are still in place.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Saw 4 of those units upstairs while moving the parts for Studebaker International. Jim

Comment

And I was thinking that SASCO's stuff (Now SIs, of course)just MIGHT give up some of those linkage pieces!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I've never heard of one of these or seen one...although I've seen many M16's equipped with the hydrovac boost system.

There is a note on the parts detail pages that says

"Installed at the factory on models M16 and M17 before car serials M16-37040 and M17-6556. However, a number of trucks before these car serials have been equipped thru service replacement kits with the hydrovac unit."

It sounds like they may not have worked too well and were replaced whenever they broke with the hydrovac.

If you find an M16 that has been converted, perhaps some of the R-60 parts are still in place.

[

Comment

Speaking of vacuum and M-16s, there was an optional vacuum pump that operated off the oil pump! I had an NOS one that I never did use. This was to assist the wipers, by the way - but it would probably be of benefit to PB. I'd want to incorporate a vacuum resevoir cannister myself.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

Comment

I seem to remember someone had previously posted that the vacuum pump/fuel pump would interfere with the motor mount. Having it attached to the oil pump would seem to solve this problem. I have always planned on installing a vacuum reservoir so I can use the original wiper motors. Neal

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Speaking of vacuum and M-16s, there was an optional vacuum pump that operated off the oil pump! I had an NOS one that I never did use. This was to assist the wipers, by the way - but it would probably be of benefit to PB. I'd want to incorporate a vacuum resevoir cannister myself.

Comment

Just a thought but wouldn't your vacuum be highest when you need the brakes since you would be operating at closed throttle?
                        Rob

Comment

The only reason I have for using a vacuum resevoir is when I want to use vacuum wipers in the rain while going uphill Neal

quote:Originally posted by mapman

Just a thought but wouldn't your vacuum be highest when you need the brakes since you would be operating at closed throttle?
                          Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X