Progress pictures 62 hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress pictures 62 hardtop

Finally got some of the pictures back. Not all of them came out. Here are a few of them.

Still lots of work to do. Here is a back shot of the car.

The engine is in the car and all the ancillary parts are attached. Should be properly registered and plated by the end of the week.

Congrats Bob, soon another fine car will be back on the road. If you want to try out the heater and defrosters, you may want to drive it up to Minnesota as it's about 15 degrees here. [8D]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That's an interesting Master cylinder/Power Brake Booster setup you got there Bob! The '62's did not have a Disc. Brake option, but someone has put the Avanti II Power Disc. Brake Booster and Dual Master Cylinder on it! [:0]

I can't remember, did Dick put Studebaker or Turner Discs on there?
      If it had the stock Drum Brakes, it would put you through the windshield! [:0]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Very nice,enjoy the car.

Comment

Hi Rich, Its the drums on it still. I'm sure your right re: the brake booster and the drums. The engine is in the car now and runs. I'm having a slight issue. The number 5 cylinder isn't getting spark. I put a new cap and rotor in the distributor and swapped wires. The brake system has been completely gone through with all new springs/hoses/wheel cylinders. I need to find a couple of the valve cover breather caps. Re: the heater, it was 38 here last night. I let it idle with the heat on and it was nice n toasty inside. I'm taking the carb to a local shop today to have it rebuilt. It was leaking from several of the lower gaskets. She won't be much to look at for the next few months..but I have no doubt it will be a reliable fun car to drive in the mean time. While the engine was out, I replaced the front and rear seals, oil pan gasket, oil pressure relief valve, freeze plugs and flushed lower block. The radiator was rodded and cleaned. I still need to tackle replacing the differential oil, lube the chassis and u-joints. The engine compartment was stripped and painted black. I still gotta find the breather caps for the valve covers and also a headlight retainer ring. Everything electrical works great on the car. The only other thing it will need operation wise is the turn signal cancel cam. Next phase will be body/paint followed by interior. Not bad for two weeks time eh?

Comment

I have the two breather caps (chrome) around here somewhere if you can't find yours. So; was the intake manifold okay? Those plugs are fairly new bosch platinums, so I doubt they're the culprit. Unless I bumped one moving it around. Sorry to hear about the carb gaskets; I guess a little age took its toll.

Comment

No worries re: the carb. I went back to the 2 barrel that was on the old engine. I wanted a little more economy than the 4bbl. How much do you want for the breather caps? The old engine didn't have valve covers with the caps. The distributor thing has me baffled. The number 5 cylinder isnt getting spark. The cap and rotor were replaced. I cleaned the points. Swapped a known good plug wire and still no spark to that one. Would a condenser cause that?

Comment

Are you not getting spark out of the plug wire or are you not getting spark from the spark plug? Possible faulty plug? As for swapping out the 4 barrel for a 2 barrel for economy purposes, I've heard that a 4 barrel can be more economical as the two primary barrels are of smaller size than the 2 barrel carb. When driven hard and all four barrels open up, then its a different story.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                sigpic

Comment

There is no spark out of the wire.

Comment

Hi Bob, did you have the same condition before replacing the cap?
                    This probably doesnt have anything to do with it, but the #5 wire should be paired in the wire retainer with the #1 wire and the #3 wire should be paired in the wire retainer with the #7 wire (thus the #5 & #3 wires will cross each other atop the valve cover). This is to prevent electrical interferance between the #5 & #7 wires (or is it #1 & #3 wires?). Page 3 in the Engine V8 section of the shop manual shows the wire layout.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                    sigpic

Comment

IF I can find the breather caps, they're yours. The two barrel will be jetted too lean for the 289. Plug the wire into a different terminal to test it. You COULD have a bad lobe on the distributor, but not likely. Could have gotten a bad cap, too, but it's probably the wire. The cap could be cracked.

Comment

Looking good Bob!

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Put a dwell meter on it. Could be that the points are floating or not opening...or the distributor is worn.

How much do you want for the 4 barrel setup?

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Working...
                            X