Color on 63 Avanti R2 alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color on 63 Avanti R2 alternator

Just had my alternator rebuilt, I had the center section painted a dull red just like it was when I pulled it off. I have been told that this was incorrect, it should be a dull silver. Does anyone know for sure what this little section in the middle should be painted. I am not a stickler for detail, but since it is off the car and nice and clean, I figured, why not make it correct.

TX John in VA

1963 Avanti R2
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

I bought some NOS alternators and the center is a copper type color.Can ask my neighbor to try and post a picture since im not that technical yet if you like.Ed

Comment

Well, I looked at the list:
      This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

and I didn't see that part listed. So when you find out what it is the list can be expanded to 44 paintable items on an Avanti.

Thomas

Comment

I've not taken apart any prestolite alternators, but that "copper" or dull red color is most likely dipped insulation material. Having taken apart a '65 ford and some 80s ford alternators, I think they are constucted similarily.

If you disassemble the alternator, the windings are wound on a laminated section (aka "lams") to form the stator. That is the center section. After the windings are done, the stators are either sprayed or possibly dipped in a shellac or epoxy material to both add electrical insulation and glue the wires to the lams so they don't chafe from vibration and potentially short. The exposed color of the lams in the center between the end bells will be whatever that coating is. I have seen some that are brown and also black on other brands. Could also be a dark yellowish clear over the bare steel of the lams. The end bells are bare aluminum, correct? So, the colors of the finished part depend on how the unit was assembled and what was or was not painted when and how. Last time I detailed a alternator, I painted the lams section semigloss black to match the color of the original dip that was thin and surface rusted on the outside and used detail aluminum casting paint on the end bells. Pulley and fan were tough since they were goldish cad plated. That was for a ford alternator and not a stude one though.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by unimogjohn

Just had my alternator rebuilt, I had the center section painted a dull red just like it was when I pulled it off. I have been told that this was incorrect, it should be a dull silver. Does anyone know for sure what this little section in the middle should be painted. I am not a stickler for detail, but since it is off the car and nice and clean, I figured, why not make it correct.

TX John in VA

1963 Avanti R2
          It's a sort of shellac, gold/tan color

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Are they aluminum castings or are they zinc castings?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
            MN iron ore...it does your body good.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It sure looks like an aluminum casting for the shell. I did go down and take a look at two Avanti alternators that are reported to be original/unrestored out of a parts bin. Both were painted a low sheen light gray, very similar to the gray wheel color of my 1979 Chev van/rally sport wheels so I think I will go with that. Easy to change if I we determine it should be of a different color. TX all for the help. One step closer to getting the 63 back on the road.

1963 Avanti R2
              John
              1963 Avanti R2
              Marshall, VA

Comment

JDP is correct on the color of the clear finish over bare metal. Rebuilders spray the stators with colored dielectric paint. The color hides the traces of rust remaining on the laminations.

Comment

Working...
                X