Champion 6 ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion 6 ID

I just pulled the engine out of a 1955 Champion sedan. The engine looks to have been changed as it is green in color and not the blue that 55's were, I believe. Also the flex plate and backing plate are blue. The block # is 1548965-5. Is this a 185 incher or the smaller version? How do I ID the year?

Just found the engine data page on the SDC site. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp
    On looking at the page, I assume you slide the middle column down to match the #'s column on the left ??
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Picture of block #
    64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Actually that casting number makes this a 1959 or '60 engine. Is there a stamped number at top, front, left side of the block?

Dwain G.
      (We're not called 'hillbillies' any more....we're now Ozark Americans)!
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

There is no number stamped at that location.
        It is being shipped to Bill Cathcart for a full build.
        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

The only other ID then would be a date code on the block near the distributor. You should find 2 to 4 numbers followed by a letter 'N' or 'O'. You'll have to decide if it matters to you whether it's a 170 or a 185.
          If you haven't shipped this engine off yet you may want to remove the head and measure the stroke. I've been told of an NOS engine (no stamped engine number, just like yours) with a 1959 build date, and labeled as a '55-'58 185 seen at the old Newman/Altman.

Dwain G.
          (We're not called 'hillbillies' any more....we're now Ozark Americans)!
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain,
            we want the 185 as this is going to get some HP mods. Bill said he had a 185 crank that he would use if it turns out that this is a 170. But looking at the crank shaft flange on the back, the flange is 1/2" thick and tapped for bolts, indicating that it is a 185 crank and not a 170.
            Appears that this is one of those NOS engines you spoke of.
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Working...
            X