'59 V8 engine color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 V8 engine color

I have to detail the new 259 engine for the Orange truck. Might as well make it somewhat correct for the year. (1959). What colors should the block, valve covers, air cleaner, etc be?

The 289 that I currently have in the truck is destined for a '63 Standard..

Silver/grey on the engine and black on the valve covers and air cleaner.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

From memory - silver block, heads, oil pan, Black valve covers, oil cap, generator, starter and air cleaner. Silver p/s steering pump and fan/water pump. That's from the 59 Lark, but I think they are the same. But someone here will know for sure on the 59 Hawk.
      There you go...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That confirms what I was thinking. Thanks.

Comment

Ya ain,t got one hair on your butt, if ya don't paint it PINK.

Pat Skelly
          '62 GT Hawk
          '56 Sky Hawk
          '37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Pat Skelly

Ya ain,t got one hair on your butt, if ya don't paint it PINK.
            Paint the motor for the '37 PURPLE and I'll do it.

Comment

You can just call me Baldy.

Pat Skelly
              '62 GT Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Pat Skelly

You can just call me Baldy.

Thought so. [)]

Comment

I always thought the 1959 oil-pans were black ... to confirm, I looked up the Fred Fox article (June 1996 TW)...and it says:

"Silver-grey with black valve covers"
                  "Most oil pans were black, but some may have been silver-grey"
                  "Fans were normally Silver-Grey... but some may have been black"
                  "Oil filler caps were black OR silver-grey."

Here's a '59 Lark VI converted to V8. In CASR-(Restorer) fashion, I see I left the pan silver.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                  Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                  Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

There sure were subtle differences between the '59 models and the '60s. I had forgotten about that June '96 Fred Fox article, Ray. The August 1990 TW article states about the same for the 1960 models. I have never seen a used '59 engine with a black oil pan, they all seemed to have what was left of silver painted ones. My September '59 built 1960 model convertible's original V/8 engine had a faded silver painted oil pan, but my December '59 built version had a black one. The former ('60 model, early built) had a black power steering pump and canister, though. Not sure if all 1959s had silver pumps and the change was for 1960.
                    The generator bracket was black. The generator itself had a black center with silver outer parts. I have a nos one of those, so it is a good source for that combo.
                    Sounds like some of those are definite, and some are iffy. Sounds like you can't go wrong with either color for an oil pan or fan for a '59, MB. That truck sounds close to big smiles time. [8D]

Comment

Thanks guys. My engine (or truck for that matter) won't be stock. I just want it to look close.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Not to drag up an old post, but what shade of grey/silver was used? I am re- painting my motor while its out and wanted to get somewhat close... I'm assuming a aluminum color would be too bright?? (This is what most of my local part stores carry in a high heat resistant rattle can style)

Comment

Silver Gray is how they look after a few years of Engine Heating and Cooling, for some reason Fred Fox started this Silver/Gray thing, but every '58-'61 Stude. you will see at the Zone Meets and International Meets have the correct ordinary Aluminum Silver Duplicolor High Temp Ceramic Aluminum Silver Engine Enamel or other brand of same.

There are lots of original paint Intake Manifolds around and factory Photos that show them how they were when New, and trust me, they are NOT Silver/Gray or any Gray or Grey!

No one mixes up a special toned down Silver, to get Silver/Gray because there is no need.

We are not the Corvette Club where they may measure the amount of lumens bouncing off of your Engine Block to see if the Color is the Correct shade!

It is possible since the amount of Gloss definitely affects how a Color "Looks", that in the Day Studebaker was buying a lower gloss than today's Engine Enamels and it looked a bit more Gray due to that, but it was still Bright Aluminum Silver.

I have even had people ask me if their '58 Engines were GOLD!
                          That is because with a little rust under the Silver (there was no Primer) or the very common Fuel leakage from the Carb. the Silver actually turned to Gold!
                          I WISH I could do that for real!

Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Hawk Engine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1708615 Here is a '61 Hawk with the '61 Red/Orange Valve Covers, but the rest will be pretty much like your '60.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-24-2016, 01:06 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For the engine block, heads, & water manifold in my '60 Lark, I used the high temperature engine enamel sold by Studebaker International, P/N 800257. Their catalog describes it only as "Silver" and lists it for 1958-1961. For an idea of what it looks like, see page 33 of the July 2016 issue of TW. It seems to be easy to apply and looks good, I think.

George
                            george krem

Comment

I think the improper term is "Mexican Chrome"........

After a while the Stude will leak enough oil that it will change the color anyway......... (Mine was leak-free for 3000 miles........) Then it became Niagara Falls.....
                              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                              X