Champ pickup, broken cab mounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ pickup, broken cab mounts.

I have a 62 champ pickup with bad floor. it appears that the cab mount off the frame is o.k. but the floor is broke out where it connects. Right and left front corners. The cab is now held by 2 boards between the frame and the floor. My dad says it can be welded but we need to know how to tell the height. Also has anybody used better rubber mounts than a piece of old belting? There is a mount at the rear center of the cab, BUT it looks as if there is no rubber at all there. How do the front fenders connect to the frame? The doors work 0.k.
    How do we get the cab in the right spot to weld the mounts so it is right? Nathan (14)

Welcome to the Forum, Nathan. We need more young guys like yourself!
    Welcome, too, to broken Champ floor club. It's a common problem. Studebaker made the Champ cab out of a car body shell, and the floor just seems too weak for the job. Just my opinion, but I've seen a lot fail from stress cracking.

The front fenders attach to the radiator saddle, and it attaches to the center front of the frame with a spring-loaded bolt, if I remember right. I think the rear cab mount is two bolts close together, and they have springs on them, too.

If the cab "sinks" down on the mounts, it throws the steering column into a bind. What I'd do is first, undo the bolts that clamp the steering column to the dash. Then jack the cab up off the frame until the column just touches the dash bracket. Ensure it is level side-to-side. You could measure from the lip where the cowl panel meets the firewall (under the hood) down to the top of the frame rail on each side, and make those measurements equal.

Once you've got the cab in that position, weld up the floors, and add some reinforcement. Last, reattach the steering column to the dash. The steering column is actually your "marker" that shows where the dash, and thus the cab itself, should be relative to the frame.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Nathan,

You could do what I did if you can do some welding.

As you know Champs are made from Lark bodies, and the Lark body mount structure is still there. My floor had the same problem, and after fixing it I wasn't all that confident in the strength of my repairs so I fabricated a couple of brackets that bolt to the frame. I then drilled holes from the Lark body mounts through the new brackets and secured it using some good bolts and genuine Studebaker style padding (pieces cut from the sidewall of an old tire).

The drivers side is a little more complicated because of the steering box.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Jeff's setup is the best looking one I've seen yet. It not only adds strength to the cab, but would make the doors close alot better too due to alot of flex in the floorpan canceled out.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My Tcabs are just daily drivers and I use them in the mountains so to reinforce my floors I used angle Iron. I jacked the cab up to get the weight off the steering column but I drilled through the hogtrougs and bolted two inch angle iron to the inside and continued the bracket on forward so that I could bolt a flat piece of steel stock on the inside of the door pillars and bolt it to the angle iron bolted to the troughs. I also made brackets out of angle iron and bolted them to the frame to support the seat.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          61 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment