to rebuild or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to rebuild or replace?

Oh what to do? I took the generator and regulator from my '60 Hawk to be rebuilt and the guy said, "are you sure? I can replace the generator with a new alternator and do away with the unreliable regulator for about $80". I am more interested in a daily driver not a show car or original restoration. Any thoughts from Studebaker land?

Alternator.
    quote:Originally posted by McDermittMarvel

Oh what to do? I took the generator and regulator from my '60 Hawk to be rebuilt and the guy said, "are you sure? I can replace the generator with a new alternator and do away with the unreliable regulator for about $80". I am more interested in a daily driver not a show car or original restoration. Any thoughts from Studebaker land?

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia
    Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I am more interested in a daily driver not a show car or original restoration. Any thoughts from Studebaker land?
      Alternator....
      (but don't throw away the gen/reg)

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I have one car with an alternator (55, wanted 12 volts) and one with a generator (53, it was originally and I wanted to show it).

What besides abuse makes a generator unreliable?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

I am more interested in a daily driver not a show car or original restoration. Any thoughts from Studebaker land?
          Alternator....
          (but don't throw away the gen/reg)

Ray

I won't throw it away as I doubt if anything is wrong with either of them. Thanks for the input.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester

Alternator.

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia
            Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
            Thanks for the input folks. I doubt anything is wrong with either but the rebuild man said that the old regulator was no where near as reliable with the original generator that the new alternator would be. This is a negative ground system isn't it?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I have one car with an alternator (55, wanted 12 volts) and one with a generator (53, it was originally and I wanted to show it).

I wouldn't know what would make a generator unreliable but was told the regulator and generator combination wasn't as reliable as the new alternator. How do you abuse a generator?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

[What besides abuse makes a generator unreliable?
                I agree, what is the intended purpose of your hawk? I run a'62 Lark daily it still has its Presto-junk (Prestolite) generator and regulator. I have 77k on the clock without incident. If your original equipment is working why replace it, unless you need a high out put electrical system to run power accessories?

Jon Krimm
                1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

A related question.

Over the years I've driven a number of Studes with generators and they and their associated regulators were always a bit problematic.

However I've had two air cooled VW's over the years, both with generators (and one with fuel injection!) and the charging systems were rock solid reliable.

Is the Bosch stuff really that much better then Delco?

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                  http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Jeff, IMHO NO! Bosch and Delco are about on par with each other. How was the system maintained? VW parts are cheap and plentiful, the last Bosch regulator I bought was $15-$20 (a few years ago) for a buggy. When one went haywire throw it out screw a new one down.

Jon Krimm
                    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Nothing...
                      Alternator has better low-speed charging, and a more consistent charging circuit. Also, if you pick the right one... you can get them anywhere "on the road".
                      I have had to do (2) "motel-rebuilds" of generators. Once at the 1984 SDC International.. and again at the Meet in Nashville (different cars) Both times, the front nose bearing failed, locking the generator- and making the car inoperable.
                      Now, I carry a spare Gen/alt just in case.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

quote:
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally posted by Tom B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they can't hold a job? But then again, sometimes that's from substance abuse.

Comment

I haven't had a problem with generator maintenance. What usually fails is the brushes. The end bushing once in a while. This is after many years of service. They are cheap and easy to replace. The problem with the regulator is the quality of after market parts. Don't go cheap and you will be driving for many years to come.

Gordon

Comment

Changed my 55 Commander to 12V went to a one wire alternator to clean the under hood area of some wiring. Never had any trouble with generators over the years just a cleaner look with the alt.

Comment

Thanks for all the great input folks! It is great to be a member of Studebaker Drivers Club again. I was a member for many years before the internet but other then Turing Wheels which I loved didn't see the tremendous value that now comes from all this electronic and near instant communication. Of course, I was working at the time and didn't seem to make the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X