Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering? New Bench Seats for C Cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering? New Bench Seats for C Cab?

This old truck I am now playing with...it had the sliding tubular seat frame. The seats and the springs in the seat bottom and back were trashed. The springs were so rusted that they are crumbling. I am wondering if any of you guys have replaced the stock seats with any from a modern vehicle. I have often seen people removing the third seats from mini vans and suv's. Anybody know if any could fit inside the C cab frame with only minor modifications? I think I want to go that way instead of bucket seats.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I put a bench seat combo from a 1996 Ford Taurus in my truck. It's actually two buckets with a fold out center console that contains cupholders and storage. It serves as a third passenger seat when not folded out. It fits a little high so I don't wear my hat while driving it. Since it was from a 4 door car, it does not tilt forward so that limits access behind the seat. I make do with that as I have installed a truck box in the bed to store stuff.

I like it. It is very comfortable. I bought the seat belts and the sun visors out of the same car so they all match.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Hijclary,
      I used aset of 64 daytona buckets seats in my 57 transtar hauler
      for the most part they worked out very well
      gary

Comment

I had considered using Lark bucket seats in my '59 until I found a newly upholstered seat with the frame. (Mine had the cheapie non-framed seat). Only thing, it is newly upholstered in blue cloth and a nice "S" symbol stitched into the middle. It almost seems like a shame to recover it to match the Orange paint. [:I]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Biggs' H2O-Induction

Comment

Might a bench seat from a Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 fit? Anybody got one to measure the width of? These should be easy to find and the backs would fold forward.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The center (longer) seat from Caravan's is what a lot of street rod guys are using for their larger pickups..
            Grab a copy of Street Rodder Magazine and look at their advertisers.
            Some of them are making kits to retrofit the seat complete with upholstery....
            Or....

(While you are at it, got to their rides section and jam some more Studebakers on there... Only three right now)
            Jeff[8D]
            http://rides.streetrodderweb.com/studebaker/index.html

quote:Originally posted by jclary

<snip>
            I am wondering if any of you guys have replaced the stock seats with any from a modern vehicle. I have often seen people removing the third seats from mini vans and suv's. Anybody know if any could fit inside the C cab frame with only minor modifications? I think I want to go that way instead of bucket seats.

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have a set of good used springs. But they are in South Bend. Jim

Comment

Tall guys, when swapping seats, be careful which seat you choose. There isn't enough room in a C-cab to begin with. If the seat back is at all thick, it will sit too far forward and the lack of leg room becomes no leg room.

thnx. jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

These seats are from a 2008 Chrysler Van. Leather, 2 arm rests on each seat, cup holders. I paid $169, included shipping. These are the ones that fold down under the floor. I removed the lower folding parts. They still slide forward and back.
                  Allen

Comment

Good ideas so far. I am hoping to find just a simple bench seat. I don't care if the upholstery is a perfect match. Some folks have more invested in their mirrors than I plan to spend on this truck.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had the seat lower built up and out on the cushion for leg support. It is a hassle to get my foot on the clutch pedal as my leg hits the steering wheel. Run the go pedal with my toes. The Diesel has air brakes so plenty of clearance for stopping. Jim

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by mbstude

I had considered using Lark bucket seats in my '59 until I found a newly upholstered seat with the frame. (Mine had the cheapie non-framed seat). Only thing, it is newly upholstered in blue cloth and a nice "S" symbol stitched into the middle. It almost seems like a shame to recover it to match the Orange paint. [:I]

What's wrong with Blue and Orange. <h3> GO BRONCOS!!!! </h3>

Jon Stalnaker
                        Editor, Hawk Talks
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Another option may be to fasten plywood to the bottom and back frames, put 2 layers of 4 inch thick foam on the bottom and 1 layer of 4 inch foam on the back, and put new fabric over it which can then be stapled to the bottom side of the plywood. Havent you always wanted to be an automobile upholsterer, John?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Another option may be to fasten plywood to the bottom and back frames, put 2 layers of 4 inch thick foam on the bottom and 1 layer of 4 inch foam on the back, and put new fabric over it which can then be stapled to the bottom side of the plywood. Havent you always wanted to be an automobile upholsterer, John?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                            Believe it or not...I have gotten pretty good with a leather worker's awl over the years and have done some pretty good work (even if I say so myself). My Land Cruiser has won trophies with the original arm rest and vinyl inserts hand sewn to new upholstery. However, what I am really fishing for here is for somebody to tell me that they went to the local junk yard...picked out a seat from a xxxx model brand xxxx seat and plopped it right in. Besides...I probably have a year or three before I am at the stage where I'll really be ready to need a seat.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I used a seat from a 92 Isuzu P/U in my T cab, fit was almost perfect. The seats fold forward for access to rear area of cab and they have the contour of a bucket seat....I have to raise it a little because it is not quit high enough for me, and I am 6'3" tall and there is plenty of head room....Can't see why this would not fit in a C cab just as well.....

Comment

Working...
                              X