THE TRUNKLID MYSTERY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE TRUNKLID MYSTERY

I HAVE A 56 SKYHAWK WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE A 57 TRUNKLID IT WAS BUILT LATE 56 I THINK ALL ELSE ON THE CAR SEEMS CORRECT SAVE A FIBERGLASS FENDER,WAS BUILT REPORTEDLY IN SOUTH BEND THE #'S ARE 56H-K2675 IF THATS OF ANY HELP AM PLANNING A FRAME OFF RESTO OF THIS WELL PRESERVED HEIRLOOM AND COULD USE ADVICE.THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES,JOHN

jcs

To make it a '56 you would need to fill the holes for the Studebaker Crest at the right side, and the Sky Hawk nameplate holes, and drill new holes in the center of the lid and buy the chrome shield "Crest Holder" that goes around the lock.
    The problem with doing this is, there is no flat area around the lock to except the chrome shield, unless you fiberglass resin body filler (Bondo) one up.

I have a '56 Power Hawk with the very same situation that has been in the family since 1962 and I have known of most of it's history since new. This decklid with the correct Power Hawk nameplates and a '57 style Crest on the right like a '57 Silver Hawk, had to be on this car since around 1960 and was always repaired at the selling Dealer, so it is possible that the OEM replacement '56 Decklid was superseded with the '57 for a very long time.

I would leave it alone and if it does not have the Sky Hawk nameplates, add them at the right side with the '57 Crest.

All are available at most of your friendly studebakervendors.com Studebaker Vendors. [^]
    Your Sky Hawk Hardtop's decklid should look like this '56 Flight Hawk 6 Coupe:

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the trunk has the sky hawk scripts with no puttied up holes which appear of consistent age as the rest but i dont know. thanks for your input rich.

jcs

Comment

But PLEASE do'nt use BONDO!(by the way that's a particular brand)one might find at
        Wal-Mart.use a body filler that a rep. bodyshop would use if you need to re-work your deck lid.

Joseph R. Zeiger
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have a perfect 56 Power Hawk Trunk lid, right down to the original "Snow Cap" white paint. Car only had 29,592 original miles and inside stored since 1961. Can send pictures if you want.
          I will sell this trunk lid as I have replaced it with a 54 lid.
          Bad news is that I am in Canada.....so shipping could be expensive!
          But, how about you Canadian Hawk owners???
          Hood too!
          Brian

Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

I have a couple that need some repair but not as nice as the person in Canada, but just as far away in California..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
            canbstudebakers-
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

please email me @mstroud7@cfl.rr.com with details thanks ,john
              i am looking for a trunklid,rightfront fenderand inner fenderwell along with address ,price,and phone # so we can talk thanks for the help. john
              jcs

Comment

Did you need any smaller stock items that I will not be using on my "Street Rodded" Power Hawk. Something that would be a lot less money to ship?????
                Brian

Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

i could use a left door window regulator,window crank handles fo front windows ,sorry i couldn't email you but my java script is porkulated.hopefully i,ll find them closer but thanks,john in florida

jcs

Comment

Too bad your in Florida, I have a passenger front fender - California.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Email me at mbstude@gmail.com I know of a couple of good parts stashes in Florida.

Comment

Matt to the rescue!

Tom
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                        X