Whither the Frozen North??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whither the Frozen North??

Drove the Lark yesterday, December 2 (taking digi pix from the Hamilton Chapter Christmas dinner in for CD transfer)...latest date yet I've driven the Stude. We had not one flake of snow all of November. Sat Nov 28 I drove the Lark quite a bit as well, including to the dinner in the evening (defogging a Lark with a heater that's more myth than reality takes a while late on a cold night!!). I'm pleased and amazed at our good fortune with weather lately. Anyone else still Studebakering in what's supposed to be Cold Country?

Wouldn't be a thread of mine without pix, of course...here's the Lark on Nov 28 at the flea market at Cainsville, ON (found a couple diecast Stude trucks there), as eyecatchers the market has cobbled up a 40s "squad car" and a Piper Aztec!

And here's the Lark yesterday, Wednesday December 2...nary a hint of snow...kewwwl!!

S.

All I can say is enjoy it while you can. Way down here in South Carolina they are calling for rain and snow this weekend. Except for the high mountains of western NC, they say no accumulation.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have a daily driver (66 Commander) here in IOWA that will be driven until temps get below 0. Yes the heater and defrost are of not much help when it gets that cold. I remember Dads 64 Wagonaire when I was very young that it was always cold and the vinyl seats were not much help.

Tom
      sigpic

Comment

Steve , I wish I hadn't got in such a hurry putting mine away or I'd have been driving mine some , the truck is completely hemmed in and the Daytona is covered with '66 parts so they aren't going anywhere for a few months

[IMG]
        Home of the Fried Green Tomato
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        1966 Daytona SS
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Steve

Had the 83 Avanti out for a short shakedown run yesterday here in Michigan. The good news, weather was 49 deg and sunny. Not so good news, gotta fix a couple of antifreeze leaks and tune the carb.

Glad we are not having that terrible Georgia weather[}] that they are experiencing. You know, all that warm, rainy weather that we don't see for the next few months. Think they'll trade us?[)]

Bob

Comment

Of course, the Lark is a daily and pretty much my main mode of transportation, so it gets run through literally everything. The only thing it may not go through is snow well over a foot, or a 20 below day(BTW 40 degrees is T-shirt weather), at which most everything isn't moving much either, lol. That is until something goes bust which sidelines the Lark, then the Crown Vic fills in until the Lark is repaired. In fact I had just recently picked up some Cooper Discover HT's, which is really an SUV tire, to tromp through winter's worst to replace the long standing well worn street tires I had. I think my signature pic at the moment, and the much brighter extra lamps in the grille can attest that this car is driven year round. I also do have wipers, heater and a defroster that I've tweaked to as fully functioning as Studebaker can put out(although a rear window defogger would be grand), as it doesn't do me or my future progeny any good to drive around on a 20 degree day with no heat.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Just put a new pair of Firestones Winterforce on a week ago. Like the idea of the driving lights. I wonder sometimes if the lites are even on when getting passed by more late model cars

Tom
              sigpic

Comment

I'll take your word as far as the plane goes Steve, but the car is a late forties Dodge or Plymouth with a makeshift grille.

Terry

Comment

looks like a 46 DeSoto to me. Glad to be in North Carolina and get to drive the Studebaker every week . Glad your weather is good for now.. Enjoyed the pics.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

I'll take your word as far as the plane goes Steve, but the car is a late forties Dodge or Plymouth with a makeshift grille.Terry
                    I thought so too.

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia
                    Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Good grief, you're right: that's a Mopar of some sort. It's been there for years and I've always thought of it as an early-postwar Ford! Compared to a DeSoto it's kinda stubby-looking, but the grille is certainly nearer that of a DeSoto than a Dodge or Plymouth. Course it's only a collection of body panels anyway (as the photo shows, the "far" half of the car is largely missing)...I'm guessing it's based on the remains of a "Plodge", then, one of the Plymouth-based Canadian Dodges. I'll change the caption on P'bucket, too...

BTW talking of old hulks, saw a blurb in today's Spectator (city newspaper) about rooting round in auto graveyards in central Ontario. First car mentioned: a '38 Studebaker sedan...which didn't get a close look from the writer because he opened the hood to find a large, active, wasp nest beside the carb! Wonder whether that car's still there...The writer also found a '51 Monarch droptop that had broken in half on an attempted recovery. Reminds me of that Lark wagon I found last March...

S.

Comment

I love the Aztec! Thanks for posting the pics, and your car is looking great!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                        Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Steve, its gettin about that time to put a winter front on the grill of that car. [8D] I parked my Hawk Nov. 18th. Had 24F for a high today and snow flurries.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Steve, its gettin about that time to put a winter front on the grill of that car. [8D] I parked my Hawk Nov. 18th. Had 24F for a high today and snow flurries.
                            I agree need a winter front like this one though,

Beautiful car Steve, I wish I had photoshop I would put the pic of my car you took at Reedsville, next to yours in that second photo.

Jon Krimm
                            1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Jon--

I'm very hopeful my Lark will accompany me to Reedsville some year, so maybe we can set up an all-'62-sedan photo op! For now, here's a pic from a Mapleview Mall cruise last summer...my blue Lark with a '62 Regal 4dr nearly the same shade as yours. This 4dr had about 8500 original miles on the clock at the time...the current owner is the first to have driven the car regularly.

I like your wreath. Might try something similar myself. Did see one of the current Chrysler 300s the other day with Christmas greenery on the nose; that did have a pronounced Lark quality visually!

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X