License Plate Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Plate Frames

I just got this notice from the ASI (Advertising Special Incorporated, of which I am a member.

New Law Bans Certain License Plate Frames
    Makers of customized license plate frames could be forced to change the size and style of their products following an amendment to a law in North Carolina. The new law, which was enforced for the first time Tuesday, prohibits the covering of the state name, year sticker or month sticker by a promotional frame. "This is just part of the business and you have to roll with the punches," says Rick Russell, owner of License Plate Ad Co. (asi/67350). "We continue to adapt our styles."

The law, one of 52 recently-passed statutes in North Carolina, does allow for the use of transparent frames that don't interfere with toll collection systems that take pictures of license plates. Between now and November 30, 2010, violators will only receive a warning for using a restricted frame. After the grace period ends, the penalty will include a $100 fine and $130 in court costs.

While license plate frames are common for promoting car dealerships, colleges and sports teams, sponsors of the legislation have argued the frames make it more difficult for police to collect registration data. The North Carolina law follows similar legislation recently enacted in other states. Earlier this year, a comparable license plate law went into effect in Arizona, following the actions of legislators in other states including New Jersey, New York and Connecticut.

If this was published to the ASI site, then this means that there will be strict enforcement. In the past there has been talk about the frames as we know them to be against the law and there was very little actual "policing" of the plate frames. NOW it seems they are serious.

BG

A similar law already exist in South Carolina. About 15 years ago I was pulled over and written a warning ticket because of a plastic bull frog hitch cover I was using. The patrolman said that it obscured my plate numbers. So after he wrote the warning ticket, I took my pocket knife, whacked off the legs and stuck it back on the hitch ball. Later I bought one of those little skinny hitch ball covers and discarded the injured frog.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Texas too has a similar law. Some car dealers threw out their inventory which covered up writing on the plate when the state made a big deal out of it.
      I don't know how much it was enforced...but it is on the books.
      I'd guess if you pulled over for some other reason and were a jerk about it a cop could add another citation as a "got ya".

I'm not sure what the harm is in covering the state motto, but other states use the center bottom to list the county, so it could be important.
      Around here, I'm always surprised how many plates are illegible...either beat-up, dirty or no lights.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I was under the impression that this has been against the law in most states for quite some time. This issue made the papers where I live when a car owner got a ticket for obscuring the "Washington, DC" on his DC plates with a dealer frame from a Maryland car dealer. The state name "Maryland" was on the top of the Md plates, so the dealer name appeared only on the bottom of the frame. But at that time, DC had its name of the bottom of their plates, where it was obscured by the dealer's name.

I remember a number of lawsuits triggered by vehicle owners who received a ticket when they covered a state slogan (eg, "Live Free or Die") with black tape. Courts have ruled that such protests are legal, but covering the state name is illegal. The first such case I can remember was triggered when several people covered the "World's Fair" lettering on their 1964/65 New York plates. The NY courts ruled that no one could be required to carry an advertisement for a commercial enterprise like a world's fair. Unfortunately, by the time the courts decided the case, those plates were no longer in use.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

It just gives the cops one more reason to pull you over in the first place so that they check if you have been drinking.
          One of our more zealous DUI enforcing State Patrol officers pulled over a guy because he had the "year" and "month" stickers reversed on his license plates. The officer admitted that he was following him and noticed the error which then gave him the reason he needed to make the stop, and check if the driver had been drinking. Interesting that he had followed him for 2 miles at 30mph with no weaving or any other erratic behavior.
          Sometimes the pendulum swings too far...

Pat Casey
          55 Commander
          58 Transtar
          62 GT Hawk
          66 Cruiser
          SDC Member since 1983

Comment

Dont know if we have such a law here in California, can't imagine that we would not seing as Ca. has more goofy b.s. laws than any other state I have ever lived in.
            And yet no where in the Ca. drivers handbook does it say something as simple as slower traffic keep right.
            The root of 50% of our traffic problems.

Dean.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

I was under the impression that this has been against the law in most states for quite some time. This issue made the papers where I live when a car owner got a ticket for obscuring the "Washington, DC" on his DC plates with a dealer frame from a Maryland car dealer. The state name "Maryland" was on the top of the Md plates, so the dealer name appeared only on the bottom of the frame. But at that time, DC had its name of the bottom of their plates, where it was obscured by the dealer's name.

I remember a number of lawsuits triggered by vehicle owners who received a ticket when they covered a state slogan (eg, "Live Free or Die") with black tape. Courts have ruled that such protests are legal, but covering the state name is illegal. The first such case I can remember was triggered when several people covered the "World's Fair" lettering on their 1964/65 New York plates. The NY courts ruled that no one could be required to carry an advertisement for a commercial enterprise like a world's fair. Unfortunately, by the time the courts decided the case, those plates were no longer in use.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Seems like a no brainer to me, in any state. I appreciate the distinction drawn by the courts between essential and non-essential information on license plates.

I figure my perfect front bumper chrome is on borrowed time, with my front plate riding in the trunk for 26 years now.[}]

Andy
              62 GT

Andy
              62 GT

Comment

Uh oh.....
                Tennessee is in trouble now![:0]
                Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

1. If the Dealers would use the proper frame for the rear plate with wide info band at the BOTTOM away from the top where most stickers are, they would not have a problem.
                  The wide upper band frames belong on the front.

2. If the States involved had any common sense, they would keep there cottonpick-in sticker location away from the top edge!

Just another example of Politicians meddling where they know NOTHING!

Here in Washington State the Dept. of Licensing has this silly rule that the Plates AND their numbers have to be replaced every few years, I think 5, using up all of the numbers and computer space and labor to account for them all, and littering the environment with a bunch of scrap aluminum and the air, to make new ones for no actual valid reason!

They THINK the Highway Patrol would get better reflectivity! What a joke we have NO sun here to fade them, they do not fade or become non-reflective at all! [:0]

Truth be told, it's the contrast between the background and the letters that allow good night vision, not the reflective background! Anyway they all have spotlights, so what's the problem?

I wonder what politician's brother-in law, owns the reflective paint Co.? [xx(]

Just let em try to complain about my Lic. Frames, the "Collector Vehicle" plates HAVE NO year or month sticker! They are perpetual. [^]

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Was thinking the same as far as the brother in law goes,
                    Or he possibly owns the company that makes the license plates.

Dean.

Comment

Like all laws, its primary purpose is REVENUE! Nothing for the common good but money, plain & simple. Extracting it from the masses in these ways causes less of a stir than raising taxes & still allows the principles involved to fund their pet projects & waist more.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yes NC is going to enforce this,was told to remove mine today.Like the nice guy I am I got out my tools and did it right there,it was a dealers frame.

Comment

I believe that Arkansas has a law that none of the information on the plate can be obscured, but it is not enforced. I see frames that block the state or some other information almost every day.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                          1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

As a license plate collector, I hate license plate frames other than the ones the just cover the edges. Most if not all states have had rules that were just not enforced. I like the frame on that '55 Tennessee plate. I always liked the state shaped plate. I also like the polar bear plate used in the Northwest Territories.

The reflective material used on most if not all plates is made by 3M. Versions of this material have been used in some states since the '50's. I'll agree that the newer plates do not fade, but I hate seeing the same plate for what seems like forever. Ask someone from Michigan what they think of blue base plates after using them for 20+ years. For the record Georgia was the first state to use reflective material on their 1941 plate.

The mention of the 'World's Fair' plate bring to mind this question; If the state mixes the state name with a tourism website (www.FLORIDA.com, www.IN.gov), can you then cover the state name to not show of advertising? While I know the short answer is no, if they add the website to NY plates I can see that being revisited in court.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

In Texas the fine for the license plate frame is $200.00

Comment

Working...
                              X