Door Drain Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Drain Holes

Where are the drain holes suppose to be on a 1962 Hawk? I don't see any from the top, inside of the door. Perhaps they were closed over during a prior paint job? Would like to reopen them if they do exist!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

They should be visable from below with the door opened. Basically 2 longish (inch and a half?)raised slots toward the front and rear of the inner door section, out at the door skin. If they are not crushed flat, a hack saw blade from below is an easy way to begin to clean them out.

Comment

The holes are actually "slots" between the outer skin and inner structure. You will see them as (2) "bumps" about 8" back and 40" back from the front of the door.
      They REQUIRE constant cleaning... or you risk the bottom of the door rusting from the inside-out.

I always use a hacksaw blade and other thin scrapers to clean out the seam as much as possible. Then I use high-pressure air (175lbs+) to blow the seams clean and dry. I then thin POR-15 about 10% with Urethane reducer, and use it to coat the bottom of the door. I try to go at least 8" up on all sides- paying special attention to the area around the lower door hinge.
      When it's semi-dry, a thin scraper or butter knife can be used to be sure the drain is open.

Not a great pic- but you can see one in the lower right corner of the photo

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Merci beau coup to all. I found the drain 'slots' and cleaned them out this morning. I think I will further treat them as Ray suggested.

Comment

Working...
        X