I have a 169.6-cid six ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a 169.6-cid six ?

I have a 169.6-cid six? Is that right it's from my 62 lark Daytona 2 door with an automatic trans will it fit in my 60 lark 2 door. The 60 had the flathead 6 with the 3 speed manual. Just wondering if it will or do I 350 chevy it..The 169.6-cid needs a cam and maybe more. The auto trans not sure if it works. Just thinking on it at this time. I did buy the 60 as a roller it had no trans or motor. So if you all want to give me some input on this it will be much appreciated..Gene. << Lacy

The Stude OHV sixes have a problem with cracked cylinder heads. You can do the swap, but you still have a 170 cubic inch engine. If you want to use the six, I would check with Cathcart Studebaker as Dave is an expert on the 6 cyl. engines. If you want a V8, why not use a Stude 259 as they are readily available and all of the parts are available to make the swap. Bud

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bud

The Stude OHV sixes have a problem with cracked cylinder heads. You can do the swap, but you still have a 170 cubic inch engine. If you want to use the six, I would check with Cathcart Studebaker as Dave is an expert on the 6 cyl. engines. If you want a V8, why not use a Stude 259 as they are readily available and all of the parts are available to make the swap. Bud
      I think you mean Bill Cathcart, not Dave.

Chip
      '63 Cruiser daily driver
      '57 Packard wagon on the road!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

If you have no trans or engine, I'd pop the Chebby in there. You can use a SB or even the 4.3L V6. While I may be speaking against the flow, I think in this case the Chevy will actually cost you less if you watch what your doing.

Getting a good, driveable engine will be easier with the Chevy. Getting a good, solid transmission, either a manual or automatic will favor the Chevy. The motor mounts are available from most Stude vendors. If the driveshaft is missing, you'd need to have it fabbed up anyways.

One word of caution. You have 6 cylinder brakes. If you put a V8 in the car (or ever the peppy GM V6), you really need to upgrade to V8 brakes or even discs. Make sure if you are using an automatic that you have a radiator with a cooler, or get a large one to mount in front of it.

Other than the brakes, if you run any horsepower thru the rear end, make sure you have a Dana 44. I'm not sure a Dana 27 would last long if you bought a ZZ4 crate motor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'd put the Stude 6 in there and buy a 3 speed manual being that the car is equipped for it (steering column shifter and clutch pedal).

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks for the input I just don't know what to do at this point.. I do have an S10 GMC Jimmy 4x4 that is complete and was looking at a body transplant the 60 Lark has 108.1/2" WB. and the jimmy is 108 WB..But im not a V6 type of guy I will have to V8 it if I go that route. I guss I will keep working on the 62 Daytona Lark get that done. Thanks for the input. Gene

Comment

Eugene--Check the relationship between the firewall and front axle centerline of the two vehicles to make sure that you don't have to move the engine back or forth. How similar are 2WD and 4WD frames? Isn't the S10 track width way too narrow? You could widen the frame and put in a monte carlo tie rod link. Maybe weld a camaro front sub to the S10 rear. Isn't the 4WD rearend a lot wider than the 2WD?. Might be perfect for the Lark. Measure, measure, measure. I tried piecing together a stick setup for my GT and finally gave up. IT now has a stick, but in the mopar persuasian..

Comment

Well the 4x4 frame is alot heavyer than the 2 WD frame. I do have two S10 2 WD frames and I have to measure the 4x4 looks wider to me but I will have to measure them and see if the S10 2WD is narrower than the 4WD. Thanks for the input. Gene.

Comment

I used to do a lot of those transmissions. I noticed that the wheels on the 4X4's were offset so that they wouldn't stick out too far since the ifs was so wide, and I guess they widened the rear to match; so the same wheels could be run front and back. I guess just put the 4wd rear in the 2wd frame; depends on what wheels you run.

Comment

Thanks Bud I will check that out. But not today it's only 20F and have to go do a control module on a caddy. Gene

Comment

Working...
                    X