Going through grandpa's pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going through grandpa's pictures...

Grandpa passed away last year, and I've finally had time to look at some old pictures he stored away and I came across the following:

The young man behind the wheel is my grandfather with his aunt and father on the running board.

Another view

Great grandma dressed to the nines...

Different vehicle with an aunt.

And lastly, my grandfather Conrad Rose standing with his beloved Studebaker fleet. L-R: 38 Commander, 48 Land Cruiser, 52 Champion, 64 Lark.

So, I think the pictures are from 1930 or 31...any guesses on the nice looking auto?

1952 Champion
    1948 Land Cruiser
    1929 GE Dictator
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

I'm no expert on pre-war cars, but it looks like a '34 Stude Dictator to me (unless you meant the model A).

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Great pictures and thanks for posting them. Also thanks for the great talk that you presented at the Pacific Can-Am Zone meet this year.

Comment

I think that is a '34 as well, beautifull cars! Thanks for posting! I too second Mr.Bueling's comment, that was a great talk!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thanks Gordon and Dylan....looking back, for me it was the best way I could honor my grandfather who had such a passion for Studes. Being able to tie it all together with our family history and the Studebaker dealership his father had would have made him proud I think.

1952 Champion
          1948 Land Cruiser
          1929 GE Dictator
          1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
          1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

I think you succeeded! That was a really cool talk, I didn't know there even was a dealership there before!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Yes, the first three photos are of an early series '34 Studebaker. The Dictator, Commander and President were identical in outward appearance in 1934 and '35 so there is no way to tell for certain what model it is. Actually the President had the longer hood but that is not easily discernible in the photos. In any event nice photos.

Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Those pictures make me sigh... I would have preferred to live in those times... ladies dressed like (and acting like) ladies, and men got to wear those great hats...[8D]

Tech advances are great, and I enjoy them all... but I'd trade if I could...

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Careful what you wish for, Bob. It was 1934 after all.

Comment

yeah ...but you would be dead now....and...would have missed the computer age...everyone has their time and now is ours so everyday I try to make the best of it...John

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Those pictures make me sigh... I would have preferred to live in those times... ladies dressed like (and acting like) ladies, and men got to wear those great hats...[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I think all of the 'old' days have their drawbacks. The '20's might have been interesting, but you still would have to live thru the depression in the '30's and it was probably magnified over what we're dealing with now. The wars in the '50's, '60's and '70's are a turn off. The '80's and '90's weren't too bad, but the new mellenium is over rated.

I always thought growing up in the late '50's would have been interesting as far as cars go, and letting one enjoy the '60's stuff as well. But with my luck, I would have had my butt shot off in 'Nam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Great pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!

Tom
                        1960 Lark VIII
                        1962 Lark Cruiser
                        1964 Cruiser
                        Tom
                        1960 Lark VIII
                        1962 Lark Cruiser
                        1964 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                        X