If Not SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Not SS

What are my options on Studebaker Avanti exhaust if I do not want to spend for stainless?

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

What are my options on Studebaker Avanti exhaust if I do not want to spend for stainless?

Just plain, mild steel.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

And I purchase from whom?

Comment

Parks Pipes may have it.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Your local pipe shop, maybe [?] [?] [?]

[:0] [V]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

At one time SASCO had a deal with Don Simmons to sell the mild steel exhausts he made for them. SI may have a deal now, or Don will sell mild steel direct now that SASCO is gone.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Go for a high quality Aluminized Steel.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

I agree...aluminized steel will last nearly as long as stainless, is less expensive and easier to work with.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Only place to get Aluminized is Dan Booth.......always had good luck with him....and he shoots from the hip as they say...this is the last exhaust I will ever need..........next set I will have Saint Peter install:-)

Comment

I had good luck with Parks Pipes good to deal with an their part fit. Not Avanti but they seem to do alot of Studebakers give them a call.

Comment

As much as possible give our Studebaker vendors top consideration, but a good muffler shop or speed shop can make an exhaust system for you on site. That way, they have to guarantee fit and performance.

Comment

I spoke to Don about a SS headpipe for my 83 Avanti. He explained that there were several variants so He didn't supply them.

I took it to our local good muffler shop. They said they would not make it from the one I brought in but to bring the car over and they could do it.

Gunslinger is correct about local shops.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

I agree. A local shop made a perfect fit for my Wagonaire many years back. Unlike stainless, the eventual tannish-grey of the aluminized pipe doesn't make all the other non-restored bits look quite as neglected by comparison.

Andy
                          62 GT

Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

As much as possible give our Studebaker vendors top consideration, but a good muffler shop or speed shop can make an exhaust system for you on site. That way, they have to guarantee fit and performance.

A good muffler and pipe shop are not always available within reason of everyone. {good}is the key word. Lots of poor shops out there to be wary of. I would rather have a system bent by Don Simmons than to take a chance on someone not familiar with my car or caring enough or maybe not talented enough to do an ace job. I hate to argue with people when it comes to being critical of their work. Don's price is fair as anywhere and his work {1} speaks for itself. Stainless. If yer not wanting to install yourself, I'm sure you can find a shop willing to do the easy part. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                            X