Driver,s Club, Take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver,s Club, Take 2

On my way hame from turkey Run. Sitting in a motel room in S. Carolina. Broke a lower ball joint. Parts coming tomorrow. Lucky that I am using late model suspension and parts are locally available. Unlucky in that I ruined a brand new tire, screwed up the paint on ft fender, incurred a $234 towing bill, and still have to buy the ball joint and pay for the labor. Fortunately, no one hurt. Rest is just money.
    Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ontheBeach.jpg
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

I-95 was littered with cars coming home from Daytona Beach[V]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Glad to hear that you're well on your way to being back on the road.

While I didn't get to Daytona this year, I do remember meeting you there 2 years ago. I asked you if you drove that pretty '53 all the way from Michigan. Your response was, "Yea, it's a car ain't it?" [8D]

Glad to know that it's still being driven like a car.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Biggs' H2O-Induction

Comment

Where at in SC?
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm at the Quality Inn in St. George.
          Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ontheBeach.jpg
          Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BeeJay

I'm at the Quality Inn in St. George.
            What a coincidence- we frequently stay at that very Quality Inn on the way to FL- it's about 15 hrs. from home (just off I-95, right?). In fact, we stayed there a week ago Saturday on the way down!

Good luck on the repair, and rest of the trip!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Couldn't have broken a ball joint on the stock suspension. Sorry for your loss.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
              1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

NOT a wiseacre answer, but that tow bill would pay for two years worth of AAA+ membership for a primary and an associate member.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain raises a good point. Auto Club here offers 3 versions. First one has free tows up to 7 miles. Second (Plus) gives 4 tows up to 100 miles (plus if your wife is also signed up, that gives an additional 4 tows-100 miles each also!) & the third (Premier) has tows up to 200 miles. Before my wife married me, I bought her the standard membership due to the problem she has with her fuel guage being off so much (Mercedes, not a Stude) each time she ran out of fuel, it cost her $85.00 to be towed less than a mile. Money well spent if not needed for the tows, just to avoid the long lines at DMV!

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Well Warren,
                    For a little more than that $85.00 you could have bought her a perfectly good Studebaker
                    with a gas guage that works.
                    Just a thought.
                    I too have "AAA" on all my cars, can't beat it.

Dean.

Comment

Have both of my street rods insured with Grundy. They will reimberse me for the towing as well as the Motel bill. Just put it on a credit card.
                      Bob

Comment

I never heard of a king pin letting go...maybe A-arm bolts.....so my question is: does the ball joint swap provide better handling characteristics ??? I'm not going there...just technically curious...

Comment

Working...
                        X