289 Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 Headers

Does anyone make headers for my 57' GH with 289?

I'm getting ready to go thru my engine and I want to step it up a bit.

Thanks
    Jeff
    sigpic He's got the "car"...now if I can only get the Matchboxes back!

Get a set of R-3 easy to get , easy to install, good performance..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

You asked and here's a second opinion:

Some, including myself, are of the experienced opinion the repro R3 headers are overweight, overpriced and underperforming hunks of iron.

Also an experienced opinion, unless the heads have at least $2000 of professional porting work, even full tubular headers won't make much more horsepower than the stock exhaust manifolds.

Your car, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Jack have you tried a set on the 298 to see the difference?, lets hear it from some others that have tried them...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Bob,
          Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not into cast iron header type manifolds as they retain too much heat that true headers can scavenge away from the engine and help reduce possible detionation.

Jack,
          Alot of cast iron inpeading the flow Jack?..Good thing I'm a machinist.

Can you post my complete cam specs for my 57' 289 supercharged Golden Hawk because I'm considering having you weld & regrind mine?

.050" duration,advertised duration, LDA,ICL,lift.
          Thanks

Comment

quote:Alot of cast iron inpeading the flow Jack?
            Both in and out. Until the intake manifold and ports are flowing more than the stock exhaustmanifold can scavenge, the headers don't make any horsepower.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

At one time J.C.Whitney sold the flanges to build your own. You might be able to find some but it is probably a long shot.

Comment

At one time J.C.Whitney sold the flanges to build your own. You might be able to find some but it is probably a long shot.

Comment

There are several companies which sell the flanges today:

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

Supercharged -

If you think about it, the internal combustion engine runs on heat...!
                    One reason many attempted to use ceramic tape to keep the heat close to the chamber (and out of the engine compartment). That is till it started rotting steel tube headers.

Anyway, no more "harmfull" than stock manifolds..heat wise.
                    While they (the R3 copies) will flow better than stock...they do need a fair amount of work to get the current copies to work well.

And as Jack also states...it's pretty much all for looks unless you have a good bit of other work done that will actually require free'r flowing exhaust.

Just another nickles worth.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Jack have you tried a set on the 298 to see the difference?, lets hear it from some others that have tried them...Bob
                      The three cars I got from England ('60 Hawk, '63 R-1 Avanti, '64 GT w/2 bbl) in the R-3/R-4 deal all had R-3 headers that the PO had installed. I drove them all, took off the headers (to sell separately) and installed regular manifolds. While I don't have any scientific test data, my seat-of-the-pants evaluation couldn't tell any difference between the headers and regular manifolds.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

First...I do feel that a properly reworked R3 manifold will work better than the stock manifolds.

BUT, this also depends on the state of tune of the engine.
                        IF...this engine is, for the most part...stock, or unmodified, and the car is normally driven that way...then the R3 exhaust is likely to offer nothing.

AND, the reproduction R3 manifolds are very badly made/cast.
                        Each manifold requires two or three hours (ea.) of work to make them work properly. I'd also bet that if this work is NOT done, that they might even flow less than stock manifolds.

PLUS...with a better flowing exhaust manifold, and depending on the "exactness" of the engines tuneup, before the R3 manifolds were put on, that the engine WILL run different than before the swap.
                        Many...both don't realize this..and..don't see/feel this in the performance of the engine.

No disregard to anyone, but I'd be willing to bet...if you took every carbureted, pre70's car on the road today and verified its tunup, that 75% of those cars, their current state of tune could be improved dramatically.
                        That is to say, the R3 manifolds could help OR hurt...depending on the engines current state of tune. And with the proper tuneup for the existing parts in/on the engine, they would help IF at least part of the engines operating rpm was above 3500rpm.

Mike

Comment

Guys,
                          Thanks for the input but I plan to use my car as I do my Pontiacs, street & strip use so I feel we're not on the same page here.

Mike,
                          Thanks for your post but I'm a machinist,engine builder,custom carb builder,tuner & drag racer and I have had much experance in avoiding detionation.

My engine has 106K on it and I plan to break it all down and do some mods as it is a forced induction set up from the factory and I plan to improve it's efficenty

Anybody drag race there cars here on occasion?

Jack,
                          In an eariler post I asked if you could kindly post my cam specs?
                          Thanks.

Comment

Super -

Since you asked.......

Been racing building engines, chassis for over 25 years myself. Know my way around machining also.
                            I've also worked on a coupla different NHRA Comp. Eliminator cars, Boneville cars, and a coupla race motorcycles.
                            I've managed to get the standard Stude head to flow over 225cfm according to a calibrated Super Flow 600 bench.

So yea...ain't no spring chicken with no experience!
                            I stand by my comments from a long history of my own and others equipment.

Mike

By the way, SB, "their"

Comment

Hi Mike,
                              Yeah I'm no spring chicken either and thanks for posting so please don't take any offense as this is my first Stude and I'm not a fan of manifolds.

Have you done any racing with you stude and can you tell me a bit about that?

I don't know what a standard Stude head flows and 225cfm is not a a big number now a days but after seeing Jack's post I bet for a Stude head that's quite a bit so I'm glad to see your results.

I know it took quite a bit of porting to get my 455HO heads to flow 260/228cfm also on a super flow 600.

My heads raised casting number on my center exhaust ports are 535976 maybe you can tell me something about them?

Also my stock cam?...does anyone make or grind new cams for Studes?

By the way I do like small blocks too and I own a few so right back at you!...LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X