Restoration cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration cost

A few weeks back someone was asking about the "best" Studebaker restoration shop and I have a related comment concerning cost. I just got a call from a guy restoring a bullet nose at one of the top restorers mentioned. The guy had no problems with the quality of the work, but was clueless as to the money involved in a nut and bolt restoration. He's 10K into the chassis already, with interior, chrome paint and body work to come and this is on a 4 door Champion. There is no way to turn back now even if he ends up with the only 40K 4 door on the planet.
    My only point is that you need to be aware of the bill you'll get at $75-$100 hour for 100's of hours of labor. If I spent two hours detailing a pair of horns for example, it's no big deal for me, but I'd never pay $150 for two shiny horns. Most of us have to farm out some work, but handing the car to a shop and doing a check book restoration can get you upside down in a car in a heartbeat.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Great advice. I(when time permits) go down to my old restoration shop and help put body off projects back together. I'm talking about complete exterior and interior assemblies. (mostly Corvettes, but will be doing a Stude in the near future). The thing that continues to be a topic of conversation is the total cost of this work. There are so many customers who don't realize until it is to late that this is not a profitable venture. The old saying, "it doesn't matter what type or model your car is the price is going to pretty much be the same". I know there will be diff. prices for parts but on the overall picture it is small. (labor and chrome for example cost the same no matter what type of car it is) I have to think what is this customer thinking when they bring in a 75 t-top Corvette and want a body off resto. These cars do not bring anywhere close to what they will cost to do. Any Corvette before 67 is a safe bet that you can recover most, if not all of your money but after that forget it. What I am saying is , when you decide to do a body off resto. do it because you have a pasion for the car, not for profit. I think every old car owner should be able to do most of the work to make it enjoyable. Good Luck

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Great advice. I(when time permits) go down to my old restoration shop and help put body off projects back together. I'm talking about complete exterior and interior assemblies. (mostly Corvettes, but will be doing a Stude in the near future). The thing that continues to be a topic of conversation is the total cost of this work. There are so many customers who don't realize until it is to late that this is not a profitable venture. The old saying, "it doesn't matter what type or model your car is the price is going to pretty much be the same". I know there will be diff. prices for parts but on the overall picture it is small. (labor and chrome for example cost the same no matter what type of car it is) I have to think what is this customer thinking when they bring in a 75 t-top Corvette and want a body off resto. These cars do not bring anywhere close to what they will cost to do. Any Corvette before 67 is a safe bet that you can recover most, if not all of your money but after that forget it. What I am saying is , when you decide to do a body off resto. do it because you have a pasion for the car, not for profit. I think every old car owner should be able to do most of the work to make it enjoyable. Good Luck

Comment

I've had three reputable shops quote me 25k for a '64 Lark wagon. And that's a frame off to original specs.

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I've had three reputable shops quote me 25k for a '64 Lark wagon. And that's a frame off to original specs.

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If that's everything, Thats a great price. (Chrome,interior,paint and body,frame,motor/trans/rear end,sup and on and on)I had $30,000.00 in a 46 chev. pickup that I did all the labor myself on. SOLD FOR $28,000.00, and was glad to get it.

Comment

If that's everything, Thats a great price. (Chrome,interior,paint and body,frame,motor/trans/rear end,sup and on and on)I had $30,000.00 in a 46 chev. pickup that I did all the labor myself on. SOLD FOR $28,000.00, and was glad to get it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker
                If the quotes were fairly recent, email me the names of those shops (or post them). I can't begin to do that on my own cars even by doing everything except the body/paint and interior myself.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker
                  If the quotes were fairly recent, email me the names of those shops (or post them). I can't begin to do that on my own cars even by doing everything except the body/paint and interior myself.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree, I spent $20,000 on a 57 Golden Hawk that I farmed out the paint, chrome and interior materials. (about 12K for that alone) and that was a body on restoration. I've been told to be suspicious of any shop that quotes a firm price for a full restoration. In my case, I thought I could do the Hawk for 10K. The shop will either cut corners to try and break even, or revise the bill when your car is in a million parts. ( Not unheard of)

64 Commander 2 dr.
                    63 Avanti R1
                    63 Daytona convert
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    63 Lark 2 door #2
                    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                    60 Lark HT
                    60 Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree, I spent $20,000 on a 57 Golden Hawk that I farmed out the paint, chrome and interior materials. (about 12K for that alone) and that was a body on restoration. I've been told to be suspicious of any shop that quotes a firm price for a full restoration. In my case, I thought I could do the Hawk for 10K. The shop will either cut corners to try and break even, or revise the bill when your car is in a million parts. ( Not unheard of)

64 Commander 2 dr.
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      63 Lark 2 door #2
                      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                      60 Lark HT
                      60 Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It gets better if you do a hot rod of some kind. In general terms, I was told body & paint would be $15K. The driveline would be $15K. The chassis and suspension? $15K. The leather interior would also be 15K. Miscellaneous? Around $15K. Now if this isn't motivation to learn how to do it yourself, what is? [:0]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It gets better if you do a hot rod of some kind. In general terms, I was told body & paint would be $15K. The driveline would be $15K. The chassis and suspension? $15K. The leather interior would also be 15K. Miscellaneous? Around $15K. Now if this isn't motivation to learn how to do it yourself, what is? [:0]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I haven't really kept track but I'm sure I've got at least 15K invested now and the 53 is just beginning to go back together with four years of my own labor on weekends and vacation weeks. There's still stuff to chrome.

If I turn a car over to someone to do it ALL for me, you can bet I would be visiting that shop every day, before and after work.

I know shops that only charge $40/hr but, if you want them to do it as well as you want them to do it, you're going to be in to them for a thousand hours.

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            33 Rockne 10
                            51 commander Starlight
                            53 Commander Starlight
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I haven't really kept track but I'm sure I've got at least 15K invested now and the 53 is just beginning to go back together with four years of my own labor on weekends and vacation weeks. There's still stuff to chrome.

If I turn a car over to someone to do it ALL for me, you can bet I would be visiting that shop every day, before and after work.

I know shops that only charge $40/hr but, if you want them to do it as well as you want them to do it, you're going to be in to them for a thousand hours.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              33 Rockne 10
                              51 commander Starlight
                              53 Commander Starlight
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X