PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Nose Propeller



oldjunk
11-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi All, new to the forum, looks interesting. I am looking for an accessory propeller for my '50 bullet nose. Could be original or aftermarket re pop. Must be in "Show" condition. Please respond to thenagain@sbcglobal.net Thanks, Peter

Peter B Coffey

COMMANDERPINK1
11-26-2009, 11:09 PM
WELCOME! And maybe a couple 50mm guns out the grills also

Tom

Chris_Dresbach
11-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Welcome! As for a propeller, you will think I'm nuts, but contact "Frazer farm equipment" in Auburn Indiana. They have a new one-of-everything for every graham-paige and CROSLEY ever built. A Crosley wagon had a simmiular, but smaller "bullet nose" that had a propeller mounted in the center that rotates freeley. That would be just about the right size for a Studebaker bullet nose. Thats what I would do. Post some pics of it when you are finished. I also like the idea of the guns out of the grilles.:)[:p]

Chris Dresbach

COMMANDERPINK1
11-26-2009, 11:31 PM
What was I thinking[?] Youll need them out the back too because we wont know which way youll be flying:D

TOM

Chris_Dresbach
11-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Anybody ever think of this... Actually reverse a bulletnose starlight and just make the back the front. Actually, more like put the roof and rear windows on backwards. That starlight back end always reminded me of the cockpit of a plane. And of course put on the propeller and some guns, etc...[8D][:p]

Chris Dresbach

Eugene
11-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Peter welcome you will find a great bunch of friends here and they know there Studebakers. Welcome.

COMMANDERPINK1
11-27-2009, 12:26 AM
And know how to have fun too!

Tom

jimmijim8
11-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Those are being reproduced. They somtimes show up on e-bay. {car propeller} Someone may chime in. I used to know the buying info but have forgotten in the last couple years. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

Swifster
11-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Any Crosley parts vendor should have them.

Crosley Parts Vendors = http://crosleyautoclub.com/PartsSuppliers.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/08-06-29.jpg

Gordy911
11-27-2009, 06:37 AM
That would also help keep ants out of your carb..

62 GT Hawk
84 vette
31 Ford Pickup
2005 Maxima
2009 Dodge Dakota
Gravely 17hp Pro
Gravely Walker 10HP

Sdude
11-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey Peter.... I thought you already had one on your car. I've got pictures....

I actually spun your propeller and then took pictures with the motor drive on my camera. The sequence came out pretty cool.

You didn't crash that pretty car did you?

Jon Stalnaker
Editor, Hawk Talks
Karel Staple Chapter SDC
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2848527836_6f817c03fc_t.jpg

Milaca
11-27-2009, 11:05 PM
I propped it up [8D]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2573/4140218944_80fa606666.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

Chris_Dresbach
11-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Brent, finish the car and put some guns out of the grilles!:D[8D];)

Chris Dresbach

Milaca
11-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Chris, get to bed! You have to get up tomorrow for the big Studebaker adventure! As for guns in the grill, thats a good idea. ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

S2DSteve
11-28-2009, 12:16 AM
If it helps, the original accessory prop sold in the 50's was called a "Lindbergh Prop".

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/S2DSteve/Family12-1-2.jpg
Steve Hudson
The Dalles, Oregon
1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
1960 Hawk (future project?)

jimmijim8
11-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Makes sense to me. Thanks for adding that info Steve. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

unclemiltie
11-28-2009, 09:28 AM
I got a Lindbergh Prop off ebay for one of my 50's. They also used these on 49-50 Fords and some of the Ford parts vendors also have them. They seem to be getting pricy and go for $75 and upwards.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
1961 Hawk
1964 Convertable
1967 Avanti
1961 Lark 2 door
1950 Commander Starlight

Retired
11-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Restored a '52 Crosley Wagon years ago. The propeller shaft was worn resulting in a rattling sound when spinning. I ended up tighting in down to keep from spinning. If you do get a used one make sure the shaft is in good shape. I believe the Crosley prop is smaller then the Studebaker. Check with Richrd Quinn he may have one and can provide you with a photo and demensions.

Richard

woodysrods
11-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I built a Bullet Nose a few years back, and recall thinking the reversed roff was a great idea. Actually the whole body could be reversed and you would have one wild custom.
Brian

Brian Woods
woodysrods@shaw.ca
1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae283/woodysrods/Concunully004.jpg

jimmijim8
11-28-2009, 04:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

Welcome! As for a propeller, you will think I'm nuts, but contact "Frazer farm equipment" in Auburn Indiana. They have a new one-of-everything for every graham-paige and CROSLEY ever built. A Crosley wagon had a simmiular, but smaller "bullet nose" that had a propeller mounted in the center that rotates freeley. That would be just about the right size for a Studebaker bullet nose. Thats what I would do. Post some pics of it when you are finished. I also like the idea of the guns out of the grilles.:)[:p]

Chris Dresbach
Yankee Crosley parts has the propeller you are speaking of on their website. Look in the miscellaneous parts section. 30 or 40 bucks. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

Starlite51
11-28-2009, 05:07 PM
geeze I paid $80 for the one Pete crashed [:0]

here's the quick link ...


[urlhttps://yankeecr.accountsupport.com/cgi-bin/catalog/agora.cgi?cart_id=9850906.16709*CG1Jr79850906.16709*oO4YV6&xm=on&product=misc[/url]

50Champ
11-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't you have to drill a hole in the bullet to attach the propeller? Wouldn't that lower the value of the car somewhat? I would never do that to mine....:(

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1188/4526177/20234971/329233113.jpg

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

mbstude
11-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes, you have to drill a hole. But the Lindberg Prop was also a factory accessory. I know a guy that has several NOS Stude ones, but none are for sale.

My uncle had a wooden prop on his '51 Starlight (January '09 TW cover car) when he first built the car. 8 days after 11 years of restoration, someone pulled out in front of him and it nearly totaled the '51. It also broke the airplane prop. [}:)]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/7b6f-1.jpg
Biggs' H2O-Induction

Lothar
11-28-2009, 11:04 PM
The CASO propeller source would be a powered model airplane prop. Available in a wide range of sizes and materials, generally less than $20. Metal spinners sold separately.
That said, I'm with Bob when it comes to mounting props. I'm not drilling any holes in my perfectly good bullet nose! Its supposed to look like a jet intake, anyway, not a prop.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE

jimmijim8
11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Super glue it on there or maybe liquid nails, bubble gum, velcro, 3 m double sided tape????:D jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

studegary
11-29-2009, 12:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Yes, you have to drill a hole. But the Lindberg Prop was also a factory accessory. I know a guy that has several NOS Stude ones, but none are for sale.

[b]Matthew Burnette


Matthew - You will have to prove to me with documentation, that a propeller was a Studebaker factory option. I have always believed them to be aftermarket and sometimes even installed by a Studebaker dealer. I can not imagine Bob Bourke going along with this as a Studebaker factory accessory. I do not have a 1955 Studebaker factory accessory book. Perhaps someone that has one will chime in. I believe that Richard Q will have the correct scoop.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

mbstude
11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
You may be right Gary, it could've been a "dealer option". I'll call some people "in the know" and see what I can find out. :)

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Tom Elliott. (He has all the NOS props). He confirmed that I was wrong. :) Stude never offered the props as an accessory as marketing thought they were too dangerous. Tom also mentioned a couple of cases where the props had worn out and came off the cars, causing damage to the fronts of the fenders.

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/7b6f-1.jpg
Biggs' H2O-Induction

JDP
11-29-2009, 12:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary


quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Yes, you have to drill a hole. But the Lindberg Prop was also a factory accessory. I know a guy that has several NOS Stude ones, but none are for sale.

[b]Matthew Burnette


Matthew - You will have to prove to me with documentation, that a propeller was a Studebaker factory option. I have always believed them to be aftermarket and sometimes even installed by a Studebaker dealer. I can not imagine Bob Bourke going along with this as a Studebaker factory accessory. I do not have a 1955 Studebaker factory accessory book. Perhaps someone that has one will chime in. I believe that Richard Q will have the correct scoop.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer





They were never a factory accessory, and many a nice bullet has ruined by adding one.

JDP/Maryland

JDP
11-29-2009, 12:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP


quote:Originally posted by studegary


quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Yes, you have to drill a hole. But the Lindberg Prop was also a factory accessory. I know a guy that has several NOS Stude ones, but none are for sale.

[b]Matthew Burnette


Matthew - You will have to prove to me with documentation, that a propeller was a Studebaker factory option. I have always believed them to be aftermarket and sometimes even installed by a Studebaker dealer. I can not imagine Bob Bourke going along with this as a Studebaker factory accessory. I do not have a 1955 Studebaker factory accessory book. Perhaps someone that has one will chime in. I believe that Richard Q will have the correct scoop.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer





They were never a factory accessory, and many a nice bullet has ruined by adding one. Not even a authorized dealer option, just a add on item that some dealers would sell on the parts counter.

JDP/Maryland



JDP/Maryland