Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting from gen. to presto-lite alt. help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from gen. to presto-lite alt. help.

When makeing this swap do I simply replace voltage reg. to one made for alt. equipped vehicle."and why would someone tell me to use Avanti reg.?"

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

You will have to do a bit of rewiring because odds are yoyu had a two contact regulator with that generator. Cutout relays were used on tractors. If it was me I would use a Delco one wire unit or use a prestolite and transistor rehulato that bolts on the back. If you take your Prestolite to an alternator shop they can test it for output and bolt on the appropriate regulator to make it a one wire application.

The advantage of the Delco unit is not only that it is a one wire set up but you can get various amperage outputs up to 250 amps depending on you individual needs.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
    61 V8 Tcab
    61 Tcab 20R powered
    55 Commander Wagon
    54 Champion Wagon
    46 Gibson Model A
    50 JD MC
    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
    61 V8 Tcab
    63 Tcab 20R powered
    55 Commander Wagon
    54 Champion Wagon
    46 Gibson Model A
    50 JD MC
    45 Agricat
    67 Triumph T100
    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

If your alt. doesn't have an internal regulator then you must use a external regulator suitable for an alt. Most gen. regulator are three
      contact design which isn't necessary for alt. Most alternators by design are limited in respect to amperage output needing only voltage regulation. The cutout relay used with generators is to disconnect battery form ground through gen. when at rest and is not necessary with
      alt. as diodes will block current drain at rest.

Comment

63T,
        I would recomend this thread. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=34906
        It worked for me.

Bill Bow

1962 GT Hawk
        Montverde, Florida

Comment

Unlike a Generator, an Alternator circuit has an "ignition on trigger" wire from the Ign. Switch to activate the regulator.

I don't think you need a "transistor rehulato" ! [)]

Is that anything like a Muffler Bearing? [:0]

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

i recently installed a delcotron alternator in my 55 chevy truck by routing terminal 2 of the alternator to the battery terminal of the alternator and then to the disconnected bat terminal of the external voltage regulator effectively bypassing the unneeded external regulator and also maintaining funtionality of your ammeter . also insulate unneeded field,armature wires. it will begin charging @1500rpms works for me ! reply if clarification is necessary.john
            P.s. this was an internally regulated garden variety delcotron.

jcs

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hawknose1

it will begin charging @1500rpms works for me !
              That would not work for me, sitting at a stoplight in the rain at night with Wipers, Defrost fan, headlights, tail lights and stoplights all ON, discharging heavily at 500 RPM in Drive!

Maybe you did not read all of the Electrical Parts and help websites that highly recommend the three wire Delco wired to charge at idle, for this among many other reasons!

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Most one wire need 1500rpm or so to start charging but once energized will work at idle.

Comment

respecctfully iwould never advise anything i wasnt 100 percent sure of secondly i am an electronics technician with 25 years of experience. the alternator that i used was a 65a 3 wire alternator terminal 1 is used for generator lamp circuit and is not needed the wire from teminal 2 to the bat terminal effectively creates a externally wired 1 wire alternator and can be connected directly to your battery if ammeter is not desired. i would suggest not using an 100a alternator if the ammeter is not rated for that load choose wisely.only wish to help. john

jcs

Comment

Working...
                  X