Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Flo 14" (?) wheel covers Studebaker ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Flo 14" (?) wheel covers Studebaker ??

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
    Not Studebaker, they were available aftermarket.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks John. Does anyone you know if they were offered as optional equipment by other car makers?

Richard Quinn
      Richard Quinn

Comment

The center doesn't appear as pointed as the Stude version.

Comment

Richard I saw a set years ago that were smaller then 15 inch at a fella that collects wheel covers he told me that they were off a Comet , at least thats what he thought .

[IMG]
          Home of the Fried Green Tomato
          "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          1966 Daytona SS
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

How mangled was the nos box? Did it have a Studebaker logo on it? I would think that clue might hold the answer. If both 14" and 15" options were on the box, perhaps the original vendor offered them for earlier cars since they were supposed to be new technology and not simply decorative. The parts books were all '59 and up, so they wouldn't list them, but maybe they had them at the parts counter?
            If 14s were offered I would think we would have heard about them by now, though, right? Unless they just didn't sell well to the 14" Studebaker crowd.
            The rings around the center point are different than any of the Studebaker 15" that I've seen, however. If no Studebaker logo was present on the box, I agree with John. That design difference in the center is enough to spell aftermarket, or another marque's option.

Comment

If you want to approximate the look, I always thought the 1960 T-bird covers would work. Not quite the same cut outs but look a lot like them. Im not sure if they came both 14" and 15" though. But I think they were optional for galaxies to in 59/60.

1960 T-bird

1957 Golden Hawk
              "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
              sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Were those right and left, or the same for all, Ted?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Richard I saw a set years ago that were smaller then 15 inch at a fella that collects wheel covers he told me that they were off a Comet
                  YES! That's exactly right! I hadn't thought about it in years, but I remember a neighbor with a '63 Comet S-coupe that had those wheel covers. Wow!

Mr. Quinn, since these are obviously for a Ford product and therefore worthless, I will happily take them off your hands to make room for genuine Studebaker parts. I'll even cover the cost of shipping so you're not out-of-pocket

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

If you'll look closely at Richard's picture, you'll get your answer. [)]

John

Comment

I have two of them that were on a Triumph Spitfire I bought several years ago. Mine are 13" NT

Neil Thornton
                      Hazlehurst, GA
                      '57 Silver Hawk
                      '56 Sky Hawk
                      '51 2R16 dump truck
                      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I've had one of these in my hands awhile back. They seemed to strike me as being of a lighter gage than the Stude units. Of course, this was at an open swap meet, so I didn't have a real stude one to compare it to. As has been mentioned, the center difference is the giveaway.
                        Interesting to see that these too, have lefts and rights.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

From what I can tell by the pictures I can find they all are the same direction.
                          But at least they have no brand markings so would work on any kind of car

1957 Golden Hawk
                          "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
                          sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer
                            If you'll look closely at Richard's picture, you'll get your answer. [)]

Sigh...Ted only has one T-bird cap in his photo, that's why I asked Ted about that one. Two years ago I found a full set of right and left Stude air-flo caps in a trunk. A fifth had a crunched center. Pretty cool caps.

Comment

John

Comment

Working...
                              X