Vinyl tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl tops

I looked into the cost of redoing the vinyl top on the '65 Daytona and I was told $1100 and up! Has anyone done this themselves? Do the windshield and rear window have to be removed? Is $1100 typical? It's double the amount I had considered as worst case.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I'm pretty sure the rear glass has to come out, if so, that figure is not that far out of line.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The 64-66 rear window moulding is unique in that it is not inserted into the rubber gasket, like the windshield. It is secured by spring steel clips. The moulding can be removed without removing the rear window. Check the shop manual which will give some detail on removing the moulding and the location of the clips. You need to fabricate a tool to slide under the moulding to release the clips, so the moulding can be pulled out without damage. BTDT. A right angle pick from a pick set will also work. However, if the clips are rusted and need to be replaced, the window needs to come out as the clips are hooked over the body fence before installing the glass. Hope that helps!

Jim Bradley
      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X