'66 4 Speed Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '66 4 Speed Avanti

Here's an interesting alternative to $25k+ R2 4 speeds.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006 __________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Sharp car and Ahhh 4spd gearbox. I heard that the Avanti 2s used whatever smallblock that a Corvette had in it that particular year. I dont think there was a 425hp 327 that year. I wait to stand corrected.

Richard Burks
    Middle TN SDC
    53s
    57 Transtar
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

You're right, he corrected himself further down in the listing. Although, with a few well chosen pieces 425 HP is within reach on that engine and it wouldn't look any different on the outside.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006 __________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

I'm curious as to what was used for the original air cleaner or does it have the original air cleaner?

1951 Hudson Supersix
        1954 Hudson Hornet
        1957 Chevrolet
        1967 Camaro

Comment

I had RQA0017 for a few years and was a real nice car.Held me over until I bought a Stude powered car.I think the early Avanti 2S used the R-1 style air cleaners.Ed

Comment

I don't much care for the colors, and those are odd scratches, but that looks like a nice car, and with AC and a four speed.

Of course if I were to buy it I'd put some serious miles on it...

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
            http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Mr. Speed is correct...early sales literature for the Avanti II show them equipped with R1 air cleaners. At what point they changed is unknown to me...probably when they ran out of the R1 type and had to make a change.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Late RQA-s had a Quadrajet, so the R1 air cleaners wouldn't fit those. Did the early RQA's have an AFB?

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                55 President State Sedan
                70 Avanti (R3)
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Never been much of a Bow Tie guy! But, if the 66 Avanti ran the same engine as the Nova & Corvette it would be fun to drive. The 66 L79 327 put out 350 hp. Because of the lighter weight, the Nova kicked the Vette's a$$. I'm not sure what the Avanti weighed compared to the Vett in 66 but it would be fun with a 4spd. I know I'll get a little bashed on this statement.[B)]

Gordon

Comment

That's an AFB on that car.

If I remember correctly my '68 327 had an AFB but my '69 427 had a Q-Jet.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

Late RQA-s had a Quadrajet, so the R1 air cleaners wouldn't fit those. Did the early RQA's have an AFB?

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                    55 President State Sedan
                    70 Avanti (R3)

Comment

When I saw the Avanti owner's 1966 window decal it prompted me to look through the '66/'67 Avanti Owner's Association member roster. Since the car has the 1966 sticker, I know it is in the roster - but at that time the members didn't list their cars by vin, instead by owner's info and license plate.

There are two white '66 Avanti 327's listed in the '66/'67 member roster: one out of Iowa, and one out of Mississippi - my guess is this is the one out of Iowa. If someone here buys this car I will forward all the info if you want it.

Interestingly not all very early Avanti II's came with a 327. In the same '66/'67 roster there is a '66 with a 283, in Hawaii which makes sense to me.

The real fun ride out of that early member roster was the fellow out of North Carolina who dropped a 427 Chevy into his '64 Avanti. The Chevy 427 and the Stude 289 are pretty close in weight, so it would essentially handle just like a regular '64 Avanti - just with a lot more wheelspin.

Thomas

Comment

My dads 327 with powershift was quite lively to drive. The firm shift
                        with the powershift trans made 2nd gear bark with ease. It is a '69
                        Avanti II I do not believe it had an R1 type air cleaner. I think it
                        was rated at 300 hp. Early Avanti II's came with "Corvette" engines.
                        This was confirmed by the smog shop that failed it.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I like the exterior/interior color combination. I wonder why they drove it so little? I too would put some serious miles on it if I had it.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

My '66 which was completely factory original when I bought it in '71 came with a Holley and the air cleaner looked like to one in the eBay picture. I know it was a Holley because I had to replace the power valve twice in two years[V].
                            Apparently they would put in whatever Corvette engine you wanted as mine turned out to have a 327 350 (or 365- never knew for sure, but it was not the basic 300).
                            It was VERY strong- only car I ever drove at 100 mph, punched it and was pressed back in the seat (with three passengers as well).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Nice honest car.
                              That's the kind of Avanti II I like, an early car without the later smog gear and weird 70s interiors with shag carpets & disco colors.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X