Have you ever looked under your Battery Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever looked under your Battery Carrier

My inner fender is clean on the wagon. This morning I took a mirror and a good light and looked under the carrier between the inner fender.I never seen so much crud and rust. I drilled the spot welds out and took it off. You can take a screwdriver and poke holes clear through it. Oh well another repair I just created.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

So true. I wipe out the tray on the rare occasions when the Hawk gets a wet wash (when too dirty for DriWash n Guard).

It's so important on the Lark types, where the battery is located just above the leading edge of the front left wheel. Fortunately, I was able to repair one on the Wagonaire before it reached a catastrophic weakness.[:0]

Andy
    62 GT

Andy
    62 GT

Comment

I removed the tray from the '63 Hawk and found good steel but had plenty of surface rust. So I cleaned the dirt off and applied two coats of Eastwood's version of POR-15 rust encapsulator to it and did the same to the tray after I wire brushed off the surface rust.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

This looks like a good solution for cutting down on corrosion due to battery acid. It is called "The Battery Mat", a felt pad available in 8" x 12" or 8" x 20" sizes in yellow or black. The larger size could be trimmed for the Avanti 3EE batteries. Here's a link to manufacturer's website. You can google search "The battery mat" and find other sites that sell them.

The Original Battery Mat® traps and neutralizes battery acid from the top and terminals of your battery. Learn more and buy today.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I got a battery mat from S.I.

Comment

Unfortunetly, yes. Mine has a riveted aluminum one in it for now, that the PO installed. I'll take the fender off, and do it up with new steel hopefully sooner than later.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Mine was patched up with fiberglas mesh and Bondo, which is coming apart nicely. More welding for someone to do...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Not to steal your thread, but has anyone noticed how much batteries have went up. Of course everything is skyrocketing.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                X