1960 lark 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 lark 259

I purchased a 1960 lark that has set for 30 years. The car 72k on it. I was told the motor was probably stuck and was tinkering with it this afternoon. I pulled the plugs out and was able to turn it by hand. I am planning on replacing the water pump and we do the ignition on it. everything turns freely but i have one valve where the pushrod does not touch the rocker arm. Any ideas? the push rod moves but is about 1/2 away from the rocker. All the valves seem free. Would you still tear it down or would it be ok with a new waterpump, carb rebuild, and ignition work? Thank you all for your responses. Matt

It sounds to me like you have a valve stem that is stuck in the valve guide. If the engine hasn't been turned in 30 years, quite possibly the valve that now has the extra clearance is one of the valves that was in the open position when the engine was last run. Gum and varnish can stick a valve to the point that in will barely move or be stuck completely. You can try spraying carburetor cleaner between the valve stem and guide while giving the valve tip a light rap with a brass hammer. Sometimes you can get the valve freed by using this method, but you'll have to keep working at it until the valve frees up. Bud

Comment

sometimers you can break it loose by turning the valve spring with channellocks. Just don't go cranking it all the way over wuth that valve stuck open...you are probably already aware of that. And if you go rapping on it, make sure the piston is down far enough.

Comment

buddymander is correct, I forgot to mention to be sure that the piston isn't at top dead center if you decide to tap on the valve tip. Otherwise you risk the chance of bending the valve if it hits the piston or the valve won't move far enough to work itself free. Bud

Comment

Working...
        X