Electrical Gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Gremlin

Ok, I have been driving it, and all kinds of stuff is rearing its ugly head. Drove to Marble Falls, Texas, about 250 miles, and while I was there, a great car guy pulled up and complimented me on what a nice 62 I had. He knew the year and everything! He also informed me, that my left side brake light was out. I assumed that it was the bulb. No joy. Everything else works, tail lights, turn indicator lights, right side brake light. This is a new wiring harness, what in the world can this be? Checked the ground, but that wouldn't be it, all the other things on that side are working, including the back-up light.

Have someone watch while you "jiggle" the turn signal switch... It may just be a corroded contact. Also check the wires at the bottom of the steering column- to be sure they are plugged in tight.

Turn signal wires will be the green, tan, wt/grn tracer, wt/tan tracer

The "lefts" are Tan
    The "rights" are green

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Will try that. I knew that it had to be something out of the ordinary. I even shorted across the pins on the switch, and only the right one came on.

Comment

Chuck - here's something wacky, but check it out.

I just did a new wiring harness too - and had the same problem. Left taillight. At first I thought the bulb was in the socket backward. Couldn't figure it out; had a friend who's a retired auto electrician come look. Turns out that the taillight connector in the new harness was backward!

To test, unplug the taillight from the harness, use test leads to jumper the connections in the opposite way, check to see if it works right. I wound up using my old taillight harness to solder up a "gender changer" to make it work the way it should!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
        X