Hometown Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hometown Studebakers

I received my production order for my '59 Lark Regal the other day and it read about as I expected. The interesting part was that it's destination was right here in Watertown, SD. I believe the local Stude dealer in '59 was Hanten Motors. My Uncle bought the car from the original owner in '66 and gave it to me in 1980, so it's been in Watertown since new.

Just curious how many other Studes stayed close to home?[?]

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Wow, that is really unique! And sort of cool. I'll bet not many people will be able to say that about their car. I know I can't.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Great story. I love those 59's, had one I drove through High School and College back in the 60's

Comment

My '59 Lark was bought in Astoria, Queens (NY). It's only travelled out to Suffolk County, Long Island, where I live. Probably less than 50 miles from where it was bought. I have the sales receipt.
        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Long Island Studebaker Club
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

My 63' R1 Cruiser (production date 8/62) was ordered by the Studebaker dealer in downtown Atlanta. It was used by the service manager for about 6 mo. then sold to the husband of my high school english teacher. He proceeded to embarrass all of the young hotrodders on an uncompleted stretch of interstate.[B)] That car had a reputation. It continued to stay in the north Atlanta area and changed ownership only four times before I ended up with it....23 years ago. It was running and driveable, and is currently residing in my dry basement, along with lots of NOS parts (including a complete NOS interior) awaiting restoration. Mr. Biggs knows this car well, right Bob?[^]

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

There are 3 Studebakers here that have spent most of their lives in the local So.Ga. area.

Mrs Brenda Graham has a 51 Champion Business coupe that was bought new localy by her dad.

My son James has a 51 Starlight that was bought in No. Ga. by a local man here in town.

Matthew's famous orange truck was sold in Waycross (50 miles away). Was traded in when it was 1 year old in Hazlehurst. Mr.Ryles, alocal man bought it and kept it for 35 years. It was then sold to my son-in-law, Then to my son, then to me.
            I let Matthew have it a few years back. It was pretty much all orignal untill this year. NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Ditto with mine, It was shipped by railroad to a town about an hour from where I live. Its been here is SW Iowa its whole 100,000 miles.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

My 57 Clipper was bought by orignal owner who lived 1 3/4 miles from dealer (Ciolli Motors) he drove it till he was in his 90s when he died young man up street drove first owners widow around when she died he got car he died pretty young and I purchased the car and moved it back over the river 8 1/2 mile from dealer.
                I ran into dealers son and sister who worked for their father and both remembered the car and the orignal owner. My car has only 32000 orignal miles on it. The dealers son even gave me a sticker from dealership to put back on the car when the new paint is applied. I have the orignal paper work dated feb 12 1957. Thew orignal owner did trade a 1950 Packard in on the 57.

Comment

This had to be when Ciolli Motors was located on Glass Run Road. I don't think that it move to Route 51 until the mid 60.

Comment

Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

I received my production order for my '59 Lark Regal the other day and it read about as I expected. The interesting part was that it's destination was right here in Watertown, SD. I believe the local Stude dealer in '59 was Hanten Motors. My Uncle bought the car from the original owner in '66 and gave it to me in 1980, so it's been in Watertown since new.

Max Mosse of Martinsburg, WV has just finished restoration of a full package '64 R-2 Daytona hardtop that was sold new by Porterfield Garage in Martinsburg and has always been owned by someone in or near Martinsburg.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

Max Mosse of Martinsburg, WV has just finished restoration of a full package '64 R-2 Daytona hardtop that was sold new by Porterfield Garage in Martinsburg and has always been owned by someone in or near Martinsburg.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

My Hamilton-built '64 Daytona Hardtop (serial C503926) was bought on July 22, 1964 by Delmar and Georgine Keeley of Greenville, PA from Carl E. Filer Co., Stude-MB-Simca dealer in town. They were life SDC members and sold the car through TW (ad in April '90 issue, with photo). Someone in WI bought it. It had changed hands a few times in WI before I saw it on eBay and bought it and had it trailered to my home in Kent, OH (about 75 miles from where it was originally sold). It has been more of a handful than I anticipated, but I remember the car and always liked it. It had some new-car paperwork with it in the glovebox when I bought it, and also a touch-up tube of Stude Strato Blue. I had hoped to get the car over to Greenville to show the original owners whom I had contacted by mail that I had bought it, and they were excited. Unfortunately, Georgine died in August and Delmar died a couple of weeks ago, without having seen the car (not safe enough to make the drive as of this year). This has made me even more determined to keep the car and show it in their honor. I'm friends with the selling dealer, too, who's alive and well at age 80, and he remembers the car and the Keeleys. They traded in a green '53 Champion coupe for it.

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                        '64 Daytona Hardtop
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Some nice stories here...

My 62 Lark 2dr seems to have spent its first 44 years in southeastern Ontario. Signed off at the Hamilton plant in May 1962, it was shipped to Adams Motors, a "sideline" dealership (a garage, actually) in Campbellford, which is near Trenton. I do not know who the original owner was, as the Ministry info package only takes the chain back to the early 80s, but all the owners listed (five or six of them) have addresses in the same general region: Belleville, Madoc, etc. That's until the young guy I bought the car from, who was further west near Alliston (basically north of Toronto). He got the car around 2006 when the previous owner (in Madoc) passed away. I'm further west (and south) still, at Hamilton where the car was built. I hope next spring to drive the Lark back through its old territory...a fond wish would be finding another previous owner (or relative thereof):

"Geez this looks an awful lot like Uncle Herb's old car!"

"Oh? Herb who...?"

(reply comes; Steve checks MTO list) "yep...this IS that car and that's why I drove it up here!"

...or a conversation to that effect. Also want to get a pic of the Lark at the site of the dealership...having already got numerous pix of it at the plant.

Fun thread. This nostalgic stuff is one of the main reasons I got into Studes and am enjoying the club so thoroughly...

S.

Comment

I only have a partial chain of possession mapped out for mine, but I know it's always been a California car. Sold in San Francisco, it was purchased in the 90s from a sailor stationed at Naval Base Coronado in San Diego by a rodder who lives in Escondido, then went to a contractor in Carlsbad, then to me

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X