Cheap 88 Avanti Arrived Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap 88 Avanti Arrived Today

DAS dropped off my '88 Avanti coupe today. Cosmetically it's a little 'edgier' than I expected but my son Michael is handy with a buffer and we will 'Lark Shine" the car tomorrow.

It's been baking in the California sun for 5 or 6 years so there are interior issues to deal with but conversely it's dry and mostly rust free underneath.

Things started off like they usually do when a new acquisition arrives. The shifter was flopping around and it took awhile to get the linkage to a spot that would allow the key to turn. The driver got it off the truck and in my driveway but I had to open up the console before I could start it or put it into park. Easy enough and when I saw the cable casing clip was off I was relieved. Even more so when I found it laying in the opening next to a couple of quarters.

I got it started, checked the fluids, put on my plates and backed it out of the driveway. I got 2 blocks and it died. 2 more times starting and dying and I made it back to my driveway. Figuring it was the gas filter I opened up the carb and I was right. Once a new filter was in it was off to the gas station.

The tires are so dry rotted, cracked and flat spotted it's hard to tell what the car will ultimately ride like but it definitely feels more like my El Camino than my Stude Avanti.

The dash looks better when you're behind the wheel than it does in pictures. The steering wheel is small and comfy and the view is sports car like from the driver's seat. Reminds me of a car I worked on when I had my gas stations, an ISO Grifo.

Some detailing will make this a good running 10 footer. One surprise, the wheels looked like they were painted silver like stock IROC wheels but when I cleaned a spot I found they were chrome! Yeah, there's that much dirt and oxidation on the car.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006 __________________ 1988 PO's driveway Los Angeles

Ernie

Post pictures as you go. Love to live vicariously that way.

Still sounds like a very good deal.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the report, Ernie, we like living vicariously through you. Nice car, but the big question- what you gonna do with the quarters?????

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

They went in my pocket. Mainly because I envisioned being stuck on the side of the road someday because the quarters I didn't fish out of the console jammed themselves somewhere and destroyed something.

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Thanks for the report, Ernie, we like living vicariously through you. Nice car, but the big question- what you gonna do with the quarters?????

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Ernie, when you finish that project, how about you build my latest design concept, an Avantino.... [8D]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Ernie, when you finish that project, how about you build my latest design concept, an Avantino.... [8D]
            oh... emm... gee... I'm sorry... but that's just... WRONG... [xx(]

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
            In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
            If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

That's way beyond my abilities and patience level! In fact I couldn't even make the picture like you did. Doesn't look too bad though.

ErnieR

Comment

That Avantino don't look that bad, maybe with a 63 round headlight front clip. I like your new Avanti also, wheels look good even not cleaned up.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Where was that car made? South Bend? or Youngstown? 1988 was the transition period were production got transferred midway through the year.

Craig

Comment

I forgot to look where it was built I will tomorrow.

These are interesting cars. It was said that the dash has a "kit car" look. Calling these Avantis kit cars is not far from reality. I pulled the door panel today to dig into the non working power window. The door lock switch is just stuck in the hole, nothing other than the friction of vinyl and plastic holding it in. I also learned the shift indicator is glued directly to the wooden console shift plate. There are some pieces that, I suppose, were a pointer and something to light it with but figuring out how it all goes together is low priority now.

While I had the door panel off I stuck my arm in up to the shoulder to tighten a loose side view mirror. While I'm feeling around in there I feel some odd shaped washers. Thinking they are some kind of centering cam I decide to remove the nuts entirely rather than just tighten them down so I can see what they do and make sure I'm tightening things down correctly.
                    Well the centering cams turned out to be two padlock keys! Seems there is a hole that either enlarged itself or was drilled improperly and the keys were there instead of larger washers. I put in some thin aluminum shims that molded themselves to the contours so I didn't have to go to the hardware store and buy a couple of more padlocks to get the keys to fill the hole.

I notice that the positive battery terminal was squished up against the upper hose so I pulled the battery to reposition it. Once I got the battery situated properly the A/C pulley hit the battery. Fortunately it was only touching the part that holds those plastic handles that new batteries come with. I cut off the offending plastic and tightened the battery down. A top terminal battery and some new cables would probably make for a cleaner install because you can't remove the negative cable without lifting the battery.

My son Michael spent the whole day buffing away a layer or two of oxidation and the car went from a 50 footer to a 20 footer. We learned that the car probably started life as a black car. The current paint was definitely a quickie job. Easily removed pieces like tailights were masked off and some things that should have been masked like the wiper pivots weren't. It became obvious that all the trim around the windows started out as black, was painted white and then black again.

The good news on the body is I couldn't find any signs of repair other than on the decklid where the luggage rack was removed.

I took a little poetic license and repainted the black headlight surrounds with stainless steel paint and then bolted on some extra chrome outer rings I had on the shelf to replace the black painted pair originally on the car. I thought all the black around the headlights on the white car looked like a woman with too much dark eye makeup on.

Here's before...

And after...

While I would love to have all the trim be polished stainless and chrome the goal right now is to amke a presentable 'beater' Avanti so I think I will paint all the trim the same stainless steel gray. I did the tailights housings and Avanti script the same way.

More cleaning and polishing tomorrow...

ErnieR

ErnieR

Comment

I agree, it looks better without mascarra (eye liner, whatever [B)]) Lookin' good!

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

your headlight treatment is much better in the after photos, nice work.

But, I am really impressed with your ability to change the trees in the back-round.

mrbobinc
                        mrbobinc

Comment

LOL!

Before's were from the Craigslist ad when the car was still in LA.

I like your sense of humor

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by Bob Caser

your headlight treatment is much better in the after photos, nice work.

But, I am really impressed with your ability to change the trees in the back-round.

mrbobinc

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006 __________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Based on your description Ernis, I supectthis is an Ohio car. mechanically easy to work on but you will find some surprises as you go along. Please keep us informed.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

While I would like to eliminate the body side molding entirely removal would just reveal the oiginal black paint underneath.

I'm torn on what I should replace it with. The current molding has been painted over and has layers of black and white and looks shabby. My dilemma is whether to go chrome, white or chrome on the bumpers and white on the sides?

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006 __________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Working...
                              X