Re-installing door "check straps"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-installing door "check straps"

When removing the doors we had to drill out the rivets that held the little metal slider straps between the pillar and the door. When re-installing is there a better way than trying to pound new rivets? Has anybody used screws? Nuts and bolts? Does that detract from "originality"? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Use pop rivets?

Comment

I found some clevis pins that were the same as the rivets on the top but have a hole in the other end for a cotter pin. Cotter pin allows them to be removed easily if needed and no risk of a slipped hammer when pounding the rivet.

I linked a picture from the Mcmaster-carr website. You'd probably need to buy a box of them from there if a local hardware store does not have the size. Lots of choices on size.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thank you, Jeff! That looks like my solution. I have a fastener shop 10 miles up the highway

Comment

Bill Fenessee in Nashville has the NOS rivets, if you want the original type. 615-662-5013, he has a small ad at the end of TW each month with the other vendors. thanks- m weiss

ok

Comment

Thanks, Doug and m-weiss for the suggestions, too. I'll see if I can find the clevis pins, first and see what happens.

Dave Warren

Comment

I used a button head allen stainless bolt with a nylock, lock nut on it. Works great, and looks good too.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

I bought NOS ones from SASCO in '07 crimpped them in with a brake line flaring tool

Jon Krimm
                1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

All great ideas. Going to the car tomorrow for a think session. Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Found the perfect clevis pins. That will help as we probably have to re and re the doors a few more times to get everything lined up. You guys are the best!

Comment

Working...
                    X