PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a running 259 in socal?

63larkcustom
11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Well.. the car I just bought and had shipped from Washington has a bad rod rather than flex plate as promised. I need a running engine relatively quickly. Anyone have one for sale in or near the Southern California area?
Thanks,
Bob

buddymander
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I got a full flow from out of my 62 GT. I drove the car then switched it over to mopar. I replaced a valve about six months before I pulled it. It has a rebuild plate in the front with some under/over size info on it. I made it into a four barrel with a small bore carb. I can't guarantee the manifold to not leak exhaust into the intake because I didn't run it after I did the changeover. I bent the pan in while moving it around. I'm in Hemet. 92543 $500. 951-219-2705

63larkcustom
11-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Excellent. I'm in Palm Springs. I have some biz to take care of tonight..but will call you tomorrow

63larkcustom
11-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Got an email from the seller on my Lark. I need to correct the word promise above. The exact phrasing was as follows:

It is a '62 Lark Regal 2 door hardtop. 259 2 barrel, automatic, power steering, power brakes, dual circuit master cylinder, reclining front seats. New dual exhaust system. It is probably the most rust free Stude I have ever owned. Shiny floors. Mechanically it needs a flex plate and probably the brakes gone through. Cosmetically, it needs a repaint and an interior.

Here's some pictures...

bams50
11-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Bummer Bob, but at least the engines are (relatively) cheap and plentiful. As I always ask, any pictures??[:p]

Good luck on the engine swap, and sorry it's not as you thought. I do like the phrase "rust-free" though!

Look at the bright side- while the engine's out you can clean and detail it and the engine compartment and best of all, knock out the soft plugs and clean out the water jackets! It has to be done, and will NEVER be easier (or less messy) than now;) And don't forget to dial-in the bellhousing...

Hopefully the rest of the car yields no more bad surprises:( Good luck!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag1-1.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA

63larkcustom
11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I haven't taken any pictures yet. Guess I loved the pink one so much that with the "issues" this one has, just not feeling the love for it.

scott.rodgers
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Bill Oliver in Long Beach has more 259's laying around than he knows what to do with (or at least he did). He must have at least one that's ready to run. 562 435-3782.

Scott Rodgers
Los Angeles
SDC Member since 1989
'60 Lark HT
'63 Wagonaire
'66 Frankenbaker

Bud
11-20-2009, 03:29 PM
You can check with Bill Oliver about an engine, but he lost his storage space a few months ago and had to scrap most of his used parts. I needed a set of heads for a 259 recently and he didn't have them. Bud

nibbs53
11-20-2009, 04:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bud

You can check with Bill Oliver about an engine, but he lost his storage space a few months ago and had to scrap most of his used parts. I needed a set of heads for a 259 recently and he didn't have them. Bud

Bud if you still need heads.

Call Bob Peterson c/b @510 266 2522.

I well in Westlake Village Dec.11to the 15.

Free Devlivery.:D:D

1962larksedan
11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I got a full flow from out of my 62 GT. I drove the car then switched it over to mopar. I replaced a valve about six months before I pulled it. It has a rebuild plate in the front with some under/over size info on it. I made it into a four barrel with a small bore carb. I can't guarantee the manifold to not leak exhaust into the intake because I didn't run it after I did the changeover. I bent the pan in while moving it around. I'm in Hemet. 92543 $500. 951-219-2705

Pardon the thread hijack: could you clue me in on which Mopar engine you used and how much of a PITA it was to install?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

buddymander
11-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I used a 360 with an 11" clutch and an A833 trans w/od fourth. The 360 was not a bad choice, but the truck clutch and clutch linkage was not the way to go. The 11" clutch uses a larger bellhousing; mounting the starter further out so I had steering box interference. I installed 92 mitsubishi PS that has the sector shaft outside of the frame, and linked it to a bracket adjoining the inner tie rod connection. The mopar clutch arm works differently, so it took a considerable amount of time to design and construct linkage that worked perfectly. However, the original automatic studebaker driveshaft was a perfect fit. If you run an automatic, installation would be a breeze. You might consider using a passenger side rear dump manifold on the driver's side (dumping in the front) to clear the steering. I also spent considerable time raising the power steering pump to clear the front crossmember. So; manual steering would also cut your build time a bunch. the original 289 radiator cools the 360 easily. Use a rear sump pan from a van or truck.