57 Silver Hawk FS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Silver Hawk FS

My son called me yesterday and said "dad, I think I found a Golden Hawk for sale." He told me where it was and I went out today in search of it. Turns out it is a 57 Silver Hawk. The sign says it has a 289 V8 but I did not open the hood to check. Pictures of the car are below. The owner wants $7500 and has marked it down from $8000. The car is a definite 20 footer. It looks a lot better in the pics than in person. It looks like a nice original that had a quickie paint job applied although they did take the time to do the door jambs, etc. It's the wrong color (although I like it) and there are some rust bubbles here and there. The quarters looked very solid but it appears there has been some rust repair (and some rust coming through) at the rear of the front fenders. The chrome needs to be redone, the doors close nicely but are loose because the rubber is shot. The interior is just serviceable and needs to be redone along with the headliner. It's a very stripped car, radio blank plate, poverty caps, etc. However, the frame looks really nice, the bottom plate is nice and clean with no swelling in the seams and the floors are original and intact. It appears to have the original factory rubber mat on the floor. I didn't see any rust on the floor pans at all.

So, what say you experts? What's a Hawk in this condition worth?

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

I'm no expert but that paint job may be hiding a lot of body filler...may want to run a magnet over it or do lots of knuckle tapping. What condition is the engine and the rest of the driveline in? What is the trunk floor like? Looks like one could put a small fortune into replating the chrome. I'll guess $5000.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'm not really interested in buying it, just wondered how far out of line the price is. I did some knuckle knocking and the only place I think there's filler is in the front fenders, the rockers and quarters looked really clean as did the floors. It has a recent exhaust system but don't know how it runs. It does need a LOT of replating, like ALL of it.

Mark Anderson
      Member SDC and FMCA

Comment

I agree that the color does look nice on it. I see the floor has a rubber mat rather than the higher price carpet, which I actually prefer as its easy to clean and doesnt soak up water. I suppose its worth $7500 to the right person. It would be a good mascot for the Minnesota Vikings.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If it runs well, it could be a really nice driver with some interior work and door rubbers. It's a stick but I didn't think to look and see if it had OD.

Mark Anderson
          Member SDC and FMCA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

/Cut/It's a stick but I didn't think to look and see if it had OD.
            The lack of an O.D. cable, bracket and shift knob PROBABLY means NO, unless it is missing.

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X