Stalled Avanti Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalled Avanti Projects

I have two 64 Avanti's that need to be finished, one of them before the other.

The Turquoise car we have owned since new and it has been sitting in storage since 1995, the photos attached show the years of dust accumulation. The Black car is a modified car, with a Chevy engine and a lot of other modifications.We have owned this one since 1981.

In my opinion the Turquoise car is over restored for SDC judging. The intentions when this car was restored was to show the car at concours shows on the west coast.

My question to the forum is .

Which car would you finish and bring to the National meet in Arizona ?

I am not a stranger to showing cars , but I did attend a national meet many years ago to find all the show Avanti's placed in a dirt field for judging. Not a great experience after spending weeks preparing a car, and not one I would like to repeat.

The black car is a driver, and when finished the turquoise car is a trailer queen.

Contributors to the restoration of the Turquoise car, with incredible inspiration, parts and labor were.

Tom Kellogg
    Gary Johnson
    Jon Meyer
    Ed Reynolds, and others.

Your input and comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

mrbobinc
    mrbobinc

I like the turquoise Avanti, especially since it is Studebaker powered. Good luck

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The smart arse answer is both and tow the turquoise with the black one.

However, the turquoise one is a true Studebaker and I'll bet would be a better candidate for judging.

And that from a two Stude owner that are both SBC powered.

Nice cars.

Bob

Comment

Without hesitation I say the Turquoise one[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Thanks Guys,

The black car had its engine replaced in 1967 by the second owner who kept it until I bought it in 1981.

I have had contact with the first owner who traded it in on a Plymouth Barracuda.

The Turquoise car had 39,000 miles on it when it was taken apart for restoration. In hindsight that was a big mistake. It would have been a great survivor car.

mrbobinc
          mrbobinc

Comment

I like sweetolbob's answer. If Malcolm Berry can tow a souped up Avanti with a souped up Wagonaire, you could tow an Avanti with an Avanti. [8D]

But if you can only do one, my vote is for the Turqoise car. Being it's been in the family since new and is sooo close to being a show stopper, that's my choice.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

It would be cool to tow one Avanti with the other, but it is not going to happen.

It would case quite a sight on the road though.

mrbobinc
              mrbobinc

Comment

Bob,

I'll chime in, but you already know my answer................the turquoise one. I'm not a Judge, but after seeing your car and the detail that was taken by Tom Kellogg, I'd have to say it will be the first car to be GIVEN points! I'd be embarrassed to have my car next to yours.

I'm in a similar position with my wife's Avanti(Blue '63 w/LSX motor) still only being partially done.......right now, I'm hoping to get it back from the mechanical shop after Thanksgiving. Will still need interior & paint, but that will wait for a while........this economy's too rocky to commit more funds right now.

Can you get access to a 2 car trailer for AZ?

You still willing to drive it to Cars & Coffee? I'll drive mine, just not in the rain.

Comment

Chuck,

Thank you for your compliments, I do have access to a two car open and a four car enclosed trailer.What are your thoughts?

Cars and Coffee, I am there almost every Saturday. You need to come up, there are incredible cars and people to see and meet.
                  Even the occasional Avanti has shown up.

Best regards,

mrbobinc
                  mrbobinc

Comment

Bob, if it were me, I'd finish the Turguoise Car and take it to Glendale. I think you'd do very well from a judging stand point based on what you have already done. As for a trailer Queen that's fine to but pull it in this manner.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

That must be tough to have two Avanti's in that condition. Boy you have time to finish both of them. Just start working on them every day you will be finished in no time. Compared to what we started with I don't know how you could not have had them going by now. Shoot I would be rebuilding them a second time by now cause we would have been driving them to shows or have them on a trailer what ever it takes . To get them out there again. Congratulations on owning two such fine cars.
                      Oh sorry about the rant back to the question.
                      The Blue one.
                      Sincerely
                      Anne

Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      The Prez 1955 President State
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Fresno,Ca
                      Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      The Prez 1955 President State
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Avantidon,

Love the Tiger as a tow vehicle, I have owned one in the past, not enough rear gear to tow with.
                        I do have another vehicle similar to your Tiger that might work . As you can see there is plenty of room for a trailer hitch.
                        But maybe my Suburban would be better. Thank yu for your response

Anne,
                        Thank you for your comments. I work in the automotive aftermarket and play with cars and parts all the time. When I come home, my interest is not in wrenching my own projects. Both cars need to be finished soon, I need a driver (Black car) and I need a trailer queen (Turquoise) to chat up Studebakers at car shows.

I have been a lurker on this site for about one year now, and have greatly enjoyed it.

mrbobinc
                        mrbobinc

Comment

quote: I do have access to a two car open and a four car enclosed trailer.What are your thoughts?
                          Well, If you get your Turquoise Avanti done for Glendale, perhaps we can share some costs on Transportation and move both Avanti's. Don't think I'd be willing to drive the R3 to AZ in summer(no AC!). With a 4 car hauler, I might even bring the old #90 car for display!

Chuck

Comment

Let's talk.
                            The four car trailer is an enclosed stacker.
                            Maybe we could bring four Fiberglass Studebakers to the National meet.

mrbobinc
                            mrbobinc

Comment

Bob, the Tiger is an MKII and has been substanially modified with a newer Ford engine and stiffer suspension upgraded brakes to include electric trailer brakes and some more stuff. It pulls like a dream. It belongs to a friend of mine who used to race Tigers and used this one to pull the other one on the trailer shown. I also owned one a 65 MKI which I drove on the streets in the DV area and Auto Crossed on the weekends. it was a blast to drive and race in A Modified with the Corvette boys.
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X